This Day in History – Week of Dec. 27th
St. Mary’s new School Hall opened with a dance and a party.
Rebecca Batteson, the old African-American woman, died at the Johnson house on Second Street. Her son-in-law, Robert Johnson, stated that Becky was 117 years old and that she saw General George Washington when he arrived in Hudson, New York after independence was declared. Her precise age was not positivity known, but she was easily the oldest inhabitant in the village.
Few people have an idea of the large amount of money that is being sent from Little Falls and villages along the Central railroad to New Orleans for lottery tickets. Prizes are drawn now and then, but so far New Orleans appears to have the best of the bargain.
There is some talk around of changing the name of the village to Clifton.
Judge Rollin Smith has bequeathed his beautiful residence, at the corner of East Main Street and Waverly Place, to the community for a public library. The property itself is one of the finest in the city, and for that matter in the county.
WW II Era – The attractive, stucco clubhouse at the Mohawk Valley Country Club, between Little Falls and Herkimer, was destroyed by an early morning fire. Fire apparatus could not get through the winding driveway which was blocked by snowdrifts and parked cars. Origin of the fire was believed to be in a lighted Christmas tree.
Homer P. Snyder passed away. He came to Little Falls in 1886, at age 23, as superintendent of the Saxony knitting mill. In 1896, he teamed with Michael Fisher to manufacture safety or “low” bicycles, and later formed the H. P. Snyder Co., a major bicycle supplier in the country. He served in Congress from 1915 to 1925 where he championed the cause of the American Indians.
The Appellate Division of the Supreme Court has unanimously affirmed the decision favoring the City of Little Falls against the Town of Salisbury for a reduction in assessments on the city’s water system properties in that town. The total reduction in assessments amounted to $427,700.
Dutch explorer Harmen Meyndertsz van den Bogaert left Fort Orange (Albany), and passed around the little falls, possibly south of Fall Hill, while visiting Iroquois Indian villages on his way to Oneida Lake. Most likely, he was the first white person to have visited this area.
Dr. Maungwaduas, of the Chippewa nation, will have medicines for sale all this winter at a home on Gibraltar Street , south side of the river, in Little Falls. The medicines are of roots and herbs for many diseases belonging to this country. Printed directions will accompany the medicines.
The Register of Vital Statistics reported 171 deaths in Little Falls during 1896, including 31 deaths of children under the age of seven. The death rate was 17.1 per 1000 population. Twenty-one died in accidents, 23 from pneumonia, and 18 of consumption. Various other forms of lung trouble caused a good portion of the deaths.
General Z. C. Priest informs us that during the past ten years, there have passed over this division of the N. Y. Central Railroad, 5,700,000 cars, or an average of one every minute during that long time.
This Week in History” is brought to you by the Little Falls Historical Society. Please Visit the Little Falls Historical Society Website and please consider supporting the Museum by becoming a Member. Download the membership form here!