This Week in History – Week of April 26th
Former Little Falls mayor, Hadley Jones and his wife have left the city suddenly under regrettable circumstances, never to be seen again. He was a fugitive from justice, accused of forgeries involving stock certificates of the Herkimer County Bank. Rumors are that he has fled “somewhere south of the border.”
The Burrell family contributed a major portion of the cost of purchasing the property, and equipping and conditioning the new recreation park and playground on West Monroe Street. Mr. D. H. Burrell, Jr. ($6,500), E. J. Burrell ($2,000), Loomis Burrell ($1,000), and M. Elizabeth Burrell ($500.) A total of $16,729 was collected.
Visitors to Moss Island will now have access to an environmentally friendly restroom. Main Street First worked as a conduit between the donor and the city to use the $50,000 donated for the project. The funds will also cover maintenance costs for the next 12 to 14 years for the facility which uses no chemicals, no water, and is completely solar powered.
By a 49 to 0 vote, approval was given to build the South Side Hose House on Mohawk Street,, opposite the river bridge, at a cost of $3,000 to be raised by a special tax.
A new church, made of native stone, was dedicated by the Little Falls Presbyterian community. The cost for the new building was $39,706 and the lot on Jackson and East Lansing streets was $5,562.
The aqueduct crossing the river has been declared unsafe, and sign- boards were erected at each end forbidding persons from crossing it.
A seventy-two hour “go-as-you please” walking match was held at Quackenbush Hall. Rules indicate each contestant must make 110 miles to secure his entrance money. The track is 28 laps to the mile and walkers were inspired by Eldridge’s orchestra. Prizes ranged from $10 to $100. Gardner Austin won with 197 miles.
A search of former mayor Hadley Jones’ safe revealed a book containing blank stock certificates of the local National Herkimer County Bank. Seventeen of the certificates, worth at least $25,000, had been used with the names of William A. Milligan , president, and Albert Story, cashier, forged thereon.
Rev. Father O’Connor, of St. Mary’s, said that all lands surrounding the church property would be dug up and used for garden purposes. He also suggested that parish members do the same around their homes.
Herkimer County Trust Company is offering six month money market certificates at an annual interest rate of 13.871% and saving certificates (2 ½ years) at 11.75%.
In an election for the highest village office, Arphaxed Loomis received 62 votes and Col. David Petree received 24 votes. Loomis had led the fight to break up the Ellice Estate.
Thirty–two carloads of immigrants, drawn by two locomotives, passed through Little Falls bound west. That was only from one line of railroad for one day. Immigration is practically unrestricted, but most immigrants come from northern European countries.
Crown Prince Frederik and Princes Ingrid of Denmark travelled to Little Falls, by a special railroad car, to visit the Hansen plant. A crowd of one thousand people welcomed them along with 200 employees atop the roof of the factory waving American and Danish flags.
The last passenger train to stop in Little Falls left the city today. Mr. and Mrs. Austin Chase boarded the train to travel east to Schenectady to visit family. They returned by train, but had to depart in Utica and take a bus home to Little Falls.
From the diary of Arnold Petrie of Little Falls (1830-1869): “Scott came and told me that the man whome Father had hired as a substitute for me, in the volunteers, his name is Fye, had run away. It proved, however, that he had only gone home to take leave of his family.” Petrie thought that Fye might lose his life that he might live. Note: Records show that George Fye mustered out on June 30, 1862 in Albany.
A gala celebration in Little Falls greeted the first of the electric inter-urban (trolleys) to reach the city from Utica and Rome. A large crowd awaited the arrival of the car and the greatest enthusiasm prevailed. The Adams cannon fired salutes, and the school children waved greetings. There is half hour service between Little Falls and Herkimer.
The Exchange Club was formed in Little Falls – a national organization that was more concerned with country-wide problems than local causes and endeavors. In 1933, it became the Little Falls Civic Club.
The last passengers were carried on the Little Falls & Dolgeville Railroad, and a dream of the Gay Nineties passed into history.
An article in the Evening Times indicated that a more liberal interpretation of the George L. Smith will and estate would make $500,000 available of the $1,500,000 total for the Little Falls Public Library expansion.
Ninety-five years to the day it was formed, the Little Falls Civic Club (Exchange Club: 1920 – 1933) disbanded. Long active in a wide variety of humanitarian and community affairs, the club was a victim of the times, changing interests, and dwindling membership. During its tenure, the club gave out $72,750 in scholarships to 220 graduating local high school seniors.
The Burnetsfield Patent, confirming the “Indian Deed,” was instituted, granting lands to 94 persons representing 38 families. The land covered 9,400 acres purchased from the Mohawks in 1722. Each patentee received 100 acres, each with some frontage on the Mohawk River from the little falls westward.
The land grants on the north side of the Mohawk River near the little falls were: Lot #10 – Augustus Hess, Lot #11 – Mary Beerman (Bierman), Lot # 12 – Johan Jost Temouth (Demuth), Lot #13 – Mary Eva Staring (Stahring.) Many deeds refer back to these lot numbers. The first lot, #13, ran from the falls at the Burrows paper mill to a line just west of the Allegro mill, then north to about Monroe Street.
At 9 o’clock this morning all the church bells in Little Falls, and those throughout the nation, shall ring to celebrate the event 100 years ago when all the bells in the original thirteen states rang out to call the people together to pray for the success and prosperity of the country during the inauguration of George Washington as the first president of the United States.
After eighty four years of service to the community, the National Herkimer County Bank was liquidated and then reopened today, in the new Burrell Building as the Herkimer County Trust Company. The new status gives the bank all the services which would be beneficial to all.
A fire practically destroyed the old Evans Hotel at the northwest corner of John and Ann Streets. Built over 100 years ago, it was at this point that the overland mail stages changed their horses before the building of the railroad. Recently, it was a furniture store.
WW II Era – Air raid wardens from sector 2W voted to build a picket fence around the obelisk in Eastern Park that was the city’s honor roll. Names of 250 more servicemen and women were to be added, bringing the total to about 1,500.
This Week in History” is brought to you by the Little Falls Historical Society. Please Visit the Little Falls Historical Society Website and please consider supporting the Museum by becoming a Member. Download the membership form here!