This Week in History – Week of April 5th
Some property owners on East Main Street have begun proceedings against the Dolgeville Railroad Company for damages sustained by the bridging and cutting down of the highway in their vicinity. Damage in every case is laid at $1,000.
Mayor Wind sent a letter to the president of the Little Falls Public Library informing him that the city would only fund the library for three months and not for the full year.
The South Side Athletic Club has been reorganized with Frank O’Hara as manager. The club is negotiating for ball grounds on the north side between Little Falls and Herkimer that can be reached by trolley.
On this date, the United States entered World War I, and there was an immediate need for men, materials, and vast sums of money by means of patriotic loans to the federal government. The Trust company organized a “Liberty Loan Club” for purchasing bonds and stamps.
“New Beer’s Eve” passed quietly in Little Falls as the city went off the near beer standard. The tankard hoisters had their first legal brew at 3:00 am. It is questioned if the drinking public will pass up the heavier, more potent home brew for the just introduced 3.2 per cent.
Showing faith in the future of Little Falls, two new retail stores opened for business – the P&C Market on North Ann Street and Walach’s Men’s and Boys’ Shop on East Main Street.
The reserved seat sale has opened for the concert by the mandolin and banjo club of St. Lawrence University at the Skinner opera house. Prior to the concert, a full dress rehearsal will be given to the old folks of the city.
At a special election, Little Falls voters approved a proposal to build a new City Hall, 786 to 75. David H. Burrell had made an offer one month earlier to donate $50,000 towards the cost of a new, centralized structure.
Little Falls Dairy began to ship milk by tank truck instead of the West Shore Railroad.
Three supermarkets were closed in Little Falls as a result of a strike against Loblaw’s by Local 1, Amalgamated Meatcutters, Butcher Workmen, and Affiliated Crafts Union. Affected locally, in addition to Loblaw’s were the Acme Market and the P&C Family Food Market. Pickets were on the streets.
Robert Hinchman leased a lot on Main Street (site of former Woolworth store) from the Ellice Estate, and a hotel called the “Eagle Tavern” was built. Since few people could read or write, a bronze eagle adorned the building. Eventually it became known as the Hinchman House.
A beautiful knitting mill, a substantial addition of the industrial wealth of Little Falls, has been built by Robert MacKinnon at the corner of Second and Mill Streets near the New York Central & Hudson River railroad.
Through a bill signed by Governor Sulzer, the state has purchased the General Herkimer home in Danube. The homestead will be looked after by the State D.A.R. and the German-American Alliance. It will be opened as a historical site.
The “Fall Hill and Turnpike Company” was chartered. The company was to build a wooden bridge across the river under the direction of Theodore Burr, which was believed to have been come into use in 1807 as a toll bridge. The Fall Hill Turnpike came down Church Street from Eatonsbush, joined the Mohawk Turnpike, crossed the river, and went down the current Flint Avenue and continued west.
The Little Falls Dramatic Association will give their first entertainment in Keller Hall. Two splendid pieces, “The Idiot Witness” and the laughable farce “Don Paddy de Bazan,” will be presented with new scenery.
While digging for the foundation for the new schoolhouse on Church street several skeletons have been found. When the old octagon church, which was built in 1792, stood on the site, the grounds were used for a cemetery.
The first burial was made in the Fairview cemetery on the Eatonville Road, being that of the body of Jesse Flagg.
A national guard sentry at Lock 17 on Moss Island was fired at by an unknown intruder at 10 o’clock this evening. An intense search by national guard troops and Little Falls police offered no clues as to the perpetrator. It was also reported that a sentry at the suspension bridge was shot at a few nights ago.
The Allegro Shoe Company of Little Falls, a division of Cosmos Footwear Corporation, moved up to eighth place in the entire nation for shoe production in 1958. The local company, which has approximately 600 employees, shipped 4,229,454 pairs of shoes last year with a sales value of about $6,135,000.
The Washington Hall property is undergoing extensive repairs preparatory to being turned into a hotel. The old cupola and the veranda on the side of the building have been removed.
The Gem Theatre moved to a new location on Main Street.
Attorney George Fiesinger sent a letter to the Police and Fire Board urging enforcement of a state law that children under 16 not be permitted to enter a theater unless accompanied by an adult. No action was taken.
The University of Notre Dame concert band appeared at the Rialto Theatre sponsored by the Knights of Columbus No. 220.
This Week in History” is brought to you by the Little Falls Historical Society. Please Visit the Little Falls Historical Society Website and please consider supporting the Museum by becoming a Member! Download the membership form here!
- Little Falls Historical Society
- Times Telegram
- Little Falls, NY
- Little Falls City School District
- Little Falls Hospital
- City of Little Falls
- Little Falls Youth & Family Center
- Mohawk Valley Center for the Arts
- Upstate Venture Connect
- Shop Little Falls, NY
- Preserve Our Past
- The Mohawk Valley Through the Lens
- My Little Falls
- Think Local Little Falls
- Little Falls Public Library