This Week in History – Week of Aug. 15th
Thirty mailboxes were strategically located around the village to facilitate mailing letters. The more remote locations had two or three pickups daily, while boxes placed along the main streets had pickups each day at 6:30 am, 9.00 am, 10:10 am, 11:10 am, 1:30 pm, 3:10 pm, 5:30 pm, and 8:30 pm.
Henry Hall, resident of New York City, Little Falls, and Nunda, is in jail in Binghamton charged with bigamy, allegedly the husband of twelve living women located throughout the country. Hall, a painter, resided here for only a few months in 1890, won the affections of, and married Miss Sara Cronk who was employed in one of the mills.
The Health Board has “put a lid down” on the city as it discourages visitors during the summer months, especially those who come from places affected by infantile paralysis. Residents were required to report to the board all incoming visitors to the city, and any violation was to be classed as a misdemeanor.
A large crowd witnessed the opening of the overhead crossing over the New York Central railroad tracks and John Street, heralding the elimination of the dangerous grade crossings in the city. Gate tender Bill Reynolds had the honor of riding in the first auto to cross the bridge. The Ann Street pedestrian subway also opened.
Police have issued a warning to youthful motorists against squealing their tires, an apparently popular pastime with some young drivers. An eighteen year old boy was arrested at the corner of Ann and Monroe Streets and paid a $10 fine.
At his home just east of Little Falls, General Nicholas Herkimer died of his wounds suffered at the Battle of Oriskany on August 6, 1777. He had led the Tryon County militia to relieve the siege of Fort Stanwix (Schuyler) when his forces were ambushed by British troops, Royalists, and Indians in a battle deemed by many as the “bloodiest battle” of the Revolutionary War.
A monument was dedicated at the old “Colored Burial Ground” in the Church Street Cemetery by the Little Falls Historical Society as a tribute to the recently deceased city historian, Edwin Vogt, who had conceived the idea.
Dr. Perkins and geologist Hall explored the “Hinman Hole” off of West Monroe Street near the cities boundary, and announced their findings. The cave opening is 394 feet above the Mohawk River, is 70 feet deep, and the surface area of the floor is 100 square feet.
The Red Cross is having their duck sale this evening at the corner of Main and Second Streets.
Chr. Hansen’s Laboratory celebrated the 75th anniversary of its founding at a banquet at the Mohawk Valley Country Club, attended by 190 persons. Company chairman Johannes Hansen, accompanied by his wife, came over from Copenhagen, Denmark to deliver the principal address at the affair.
Colonel McKenster sold his hotel to Ezra C. Southworth and it will be called the Little Falls Hotel.
The Rocktons and the Valley Club of Canajoharie played a very pleasant game of baseball on the Eastern Square in which our boys came off second best, the score standing 66 to 45.
It was a red-letter day as the citizens of Little Falls gave a rousing, solid majority in favor of a water works to ensure a clean and healthy supply of clean water for the village. A pleasing feature of the election was the voting of the ladies who almost invariably voted on the right side for water. 864 electors voted for and 141 against the proposal.
The multi-day “Grand Street Carnival” and “Old Home Week” celebration began today with a huge parade that drew unprecedented crowds to the city. Festivities included a carnival, band concerts featuring local and area bands, and special free exhibitions along city streets.
The Irish societies had their union field-day and outing at Burwell’s Grove with estimates of 2,500 to 3,000 attending. The quantities of food and refreshments required was tremendous, and were consumed in proportionate quantities. Athletic sports and exhibitions of strength, throwing of weights, jumping, baseball, foot races, and hurling were held throughout the day.
The Adam Forepaugh Wild West Combination show arrives in Little Falls, and will feature a wondrous sensational production of “Custer’s Last Stand or Battle of the Little Big Horn.” 200 mounted combatants, genuine savages, scouts, and soldiers including Sergeant Wagner, attack survivor, will be seen.
A locally produced movie, “Man Haters,” was shown at Linton’s Hippodrome Theatre. Made in August 1915 the film featured locals Pauline Killmeier, Mrs. Ella Flood, Mel Nichols, Otto Wagner, and Chief James “Dusty” Long.
The canal and river banks were lined with people, and the nearby streets were jammed with automobiles when Henry Ford’s big boat “Edgewater” came through Little Falls today. The modern steel vessel, 301 feet long and 40 feet wide, presented an imposing sight as it passed by Hansen’s Island
This Week in History” is brought to you by the Little Falls Historical Society. Please Visit the Little Falls Historical Society Website and please consider supporting the Museum by becoming a Member. Download the membership form here!