This Week in History – Week of August 16th
At his home just east of Little Falls, General Nicholas Herkimer died of his wounds suffered at the Battle of Oriskany on August 6, 1777. He had led the Tryon County militia to relieve the siege of Fort Stanwix (Schuyler) when his forces were ambushed by British troops, Royalists, and Indians in a battle deemed by many as the “bloodiest battle” of the Revolutionary War.
A monument was dedicated at the old “Colored Burial Ground” in the Church Street Cemetery by the Little Falls Historical Society as a tribute to the recently deceased city historian, Edwin Vogt, who had conceived the idea.
The islands in the Mohawk River at the little falls were granted to Peter Winne. Winne’s ancestors were from Flanders (Belgium) and settled in the mid and upper Hudson River valley. They bought islands in the Hudson River south of Fort Orange (Albany.)
A young man was sent by Police Justice Dasey to Albany penitentiary for 60 days for stealing tomatoes from Kane Brothers grocery store.
Three dry agents from Utica raided the Globe Hotel on West John Street and confiscated 68 cases of home brew. The contents were dumped down the sink and the bottles broken on the floor. A large crowd gathered during the festivities.
An article in the Evening Times mentions that the original George L. Smith bequest was $143,000 with a 1979 value of $1,500,000. The trust department of the Herkimer County Trust Company manages the estate.
Chr. Hansen’s Laboratory celebrated the 75th anniversary of its founding at a banquet at the Mohawk Valley Country Club attended by 190 persons. Company chairman Johannes Hansen, accompanied by his wife, came over from Copenhagen, Denmark to deliver the principal address at the affair.
Colonel McKenster sold his hotel to Ezra C. Southworth and it will be called the Little Falls Hotel.
The Rocktons and the Valley Club of Canajoharie played a very pleasant game of baseball on the Eastern Square in which our boys came off second best, the score standing 66 to 45.
It was a red-letter day as the citizens of Little Falls gave a rousing, solid majority in favor of a water works to ensure a clean and healthy supply of clean water for the village. A pleasing feature of the election was the voting of the ladies who almost invariably voted on the right side for water. 864 electors voted for and 141 against the proposal.
The multi-day “Grand Street Carnival” and “Old Home Week” celebration began today with a huge parade that drew unprecedented crowds to the city. Festivities included a carnival, band concerts featuring local and area bands, and special free exhibitions along city streets.
The Irish societies had their union field-day and outing at Burwell’s Grove with estimates of 2,500 to 3,000 attending. The quantities of food and refreshments required was tremendous, and were consumed in proportionate quantities. Athletic sports and exhibitions of strength, throwing of weights, jumping, baseball, foot races, and hurling were held throughout the day.
The Adam Forepaugh Wild West Combination show arrives in Little Falls, and will feature a wondrous sensational production of “Custer’s Last Stand or Battle of the Little Big Horn.” 200 mounted combatants, genuine savages, scouts, and soldiers including Sergeant Wagner, attack survivor, will be seen.
A locally produced movie, “Man Haters,” was shown at Linton’s Hippodrome Theatre. Made in August 1915 the film featured locals Pauline Killmeier, Mrs. Ella Flood, Mel Nichols, Otto Wagner, and Chief James “Dusty” Long.
The canal and river banks were lined with people, and the nearby streets were jammed with automobiles when Henry Ford’s big boat “Edgewater” came through Little Falls today. The modern steel vessel, 301 feet long and 40 feet wide, presented an imposing sight as it passed by Hansen’s Island.
Barnum & London Shows rolled into Little Falls featuring “Jumbo” the massive elephant, 3 circuses in 3 rings, 2 enormous menageries, and the 7 largest shows on Earth. The shows were viewed in two huge tents.
The steam launch, formerly called “Victor Adams,” was set afloat on the river off Moss Island under the new name of “The Hadley Jones.” The boat will seat twelve persons and will run between Moss Island and Five Mile dam, for pleasure parties.
Local liquor dealers had one of the most jolly outings, enjoying a day of royal sport at their clambake at Camp Jolly. On a day of perfect weather, everyone sang, drank, danced, drank, ate, drank and entered heartily into the sports.
Harry Atwood flew the first airplane, a Wright Biplane, over the Mohawk Valley, passing a little to the south of Little Falls, on his famous flight from St. Louis to New York City. The distance of 1265 miles was covered in 28 hours and 31 minutes.
This Week in History” is brought to you by the Little Falls Historical Society. Please Visit the Little Falls Historical Society Website and please consider supporting the Museum by becoming a Member. Download the membership form here!