Dec. 13th


Born in Little Falls in 1886, and brought up here, internationally renowned architect Dwight James Baum has died. He designed many homes, hospitals, college buildings, and pavilions for the 1939 World’s Fair, but his most famous work was the Ca d’Zan in Sarasota, Florida for John Ringling of circus fame.


Partners Trust Financial Group, the holding company for the Savings Bank of Utica, announced that it has received the required regulatory approvals to acquire Herkimer County Trust Company of Little Falls. The parties expect to close the transaction before year-end. HCTC was in business 169 years.

Dec. 14th


After his preparation for the ministry at the Rochester Theological Seminary, Francis Bellamy was ordained a Baptist minister at the First Baptist Church in Little Falls where he served as pastor from 1879 to 1885. After leaving Little Falls and serving at churches in Boston, and while working for the ‘Youth’s Companion” magazine, Bellamy wrote the Pledge of Allegiance, which was nationally accepted in 1892.


The first train passed over the railroad to Dolgeville, and there were many excursions to High Falls Park the following summer.


Voters of the Little Falls Central School District gave emphatic disapproval to the proposition to build a new high school by a 2,169 to 875 vote. Additionally, the voters, with even more displeasure, rejected to building a swimming pool at the proposed school by a 2,399 to 461 vote.


“Quackenbush Hall,” the old three-story brick building opposite The Evening Times office on South Second Street, is ready for the wrecking ball. The lower floors were built between 1858 and 1867 for the manufacture of carriages. When a third story was added, it was best known as a rental hall for dancing, parties and political meetings between 1874 and 1914.


On this date, the “Men” overcame a seventeen point deficit to defeat the “Ladies” 13 to 10 to win the 2019 Pitch Championship at the Little Falls Historical Society.

Dec. 15th


The toboggan chute off East Monroe Street is ready for  business. Water pipes have been laid so the slide can be sprinkled and kept in condition. Tobogganing will doubtless be one of our popular winter sports.


An ambulance, once owned by the Mary Imogene Bassett hospital in Cooperstown, has been refinished inside and out,  and was donated to the city by Dr. H. W. Vickers. The firemen will care for the machine.


Fifty-five men went to work on approved CWA projects in the city. These tasks include construction of the Summit Avenue storm sewer, building new sewer manholes, and graveling roads within the city. Working six hours a day for five days a week, foremen receive $1.20 an hour and laborers 53 cents an hour.


John Crowley, Editor and chief stockholder of the Evening Times for nearly sixty years passed away today. He influenced much of what went on in Little Falls through his stinging editorials in his newspaper.


The inaugural “Christmas in Little Falls” celebration was held.

Dec. 16th


About one thousand people were present at the public meeting under the auspices of the Knights of Labor, at the Skinner Opera House. The assemblage was addressed by Mr. T. B. Barry who talked about the local labor situation, and his unsuccessful attempts to meet and negotiate with head of the Little Falls Manufacturers Association.

Dec. 17th


The first electric communication through Little Falls was the telegraph line of the Utica and Schenectady railroad. A contract was made on this date and the telegraph line was installed in 1846.


A good number of recently built US submarine chasers, moving down the canal, stopped in Little Falls on their way to New York City. They will bolster our shore defenses.

Dec. 18th


Disgusted with alien ownership, Little Falls citizens met to petition the New York State legislature to enforce the Alien Land Law of 1817.


James Riley has secured, for the sum of $25, the privilege from the State, of using the part of the canal known as Leigh’s Level for an ice skating rink. Little Falls school children are allowed free at specific times. The general public is to pay an admission charge of five cents for using the rink. 

Dec. 19th


The old Girvan House suffered severely from fire forcing forty-five guests and other inmates out into the cold. The fire was believed to have started in the rear of Joe Wright’s fruit store.


It’s full speed ahead to get the Melrose Slipper company of New York City into operation in Little Falls. All doubts about the ability of the company to secure a sufficiency of help would seem to be removed by the number of applications made to the company’s New York office. 125 to 150 jobs are projected.


WW II Era – A record 181 trains on the New York Central line passed through Little Falls in a single day.

This Week in History” is brought to you by the Little Falls Historical Society. Please Visit the Little Falls Historical Society Website and please consider supporting the Museum by becoming a Member. Download the membership form here!