Dec. 19th

1898

The old Girvan House suffered severely from fire forcing forty-five guests and other inmates out into the cold. The fire was believed to have started in the rear of Joe Wright’s fruit store.

1933

It’s full speed ahead to get the Melrose Slipper company of New York City into operation in Little Falls. All doubts about the ability of the company to secure a sufficiency of help would seem to be removed by the number of applications made to the company’s New York office. 125 to 150 jobs are projected.

1941

WW II Era – A record 181 trains on the New York Central line passed through Little Falls in a single day.

Dec. 20th

1855

General Z.C. Priest received $166.66 per month as Assistant Superintendent of the railroad.

1910

Some weeks ago, the Presbyterian church society purchased a large lot on Jackson Street upon which a parish house was to be erected. An announcement was made today, with a change of plans, that David H. Burrell has donated $50,000 to cover the expense of a project which became the fully equipped Y.M.C.A. on the site.

1920

Headlines screamed ”PHOENIX MILLS CLOSE FOR INDEFINITE PERIOD” as about 1000 hands were unemployed, heralding the beginning of a major business depression. Three months later, the workers returned to work accepting a 23% reduction in wages rather than remaining unemployed.

Dec. 21st

1933

Seventy members of the Exchange Club voiced their displeasure with the national organization and decided to focus their efforts and energy on local affairs. Thus, the Little Falls Civic Club was formed. The organization worked diligently to make the city a better place to work, live, and play for all of its citizens. Top graduating students were awarded scholarships each year.

2007

The South Ann Street, Mill Street Historic District in Little Falls, better known as “Canal Place,” has been recommended to be placed on the State and National Registers. The registers are the official list of buildings, structures, districts, landscapes, and sites in the historic area. Formal approval came in July 2008.

Dec. 22nd

1887

The “toney” Q. V. Society, which is composed of many of our most reputable young men, gave a reception at their new hall in the Skinner block. It was a very delightful event, and nearly one-hundred people were present to enjoy it. The hall was beautifully decorated for the occasion, and music and refreshments were all that could be asked for.

1990

At a convention in San Antonio, Texas, Little Falls native Bernard J. “Bud” Malone, Jr., Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of New York, received an “Award of Honor” from the United States Department of Justice for his outstanding work in investigation and prosecution of major drug traffickers.

1991

Six children in the McLeod family, ages 1 to 10, died in an early morning fire that tore through their two-story home on East Monroe Street. A fourteen year-old boy who was babysitting them was the only one to escape alive.

Dec. 23rd

1869

As gold goes down so do oysters. M. B. Tyson receives and sells more oysters daily than any other dealer in Little Falls. He sells solid meat oysters for 37 ½ cents per quart, extra count oysters for 44 cents per quart. No credit on oysters.

1899

The H. P. Snyder bicycle works shipped ten carloads of bikes to the Simmons Hardware Company of St. Louis. The 1,500 machines constitute a part of the big contract with Simmons.

1912

Four strikers from the Phoenix and Gilbert mills at Little Falls, who had been arrested for merely making speeches, were released without a trial. They were neither tried nor released on bail, they were just “shooed” out of the court room.

1918

Mayor Zoller and the Aldermen met at the new City Hall to pay their respects to David H. Burrell, whose generosity had made the building possible.

 

1915

A big crowd assembled around the community Christmas tree in Eastern Park to sing songs and celebrate the Yuletide. It was a fitting manifestation of the Spirit of Peace and Good Will. The large tree was realized through the donations of businesses and citizens alike.

1962

Michael Denapole, a Little Falls farmer, is in “only fair condition” after a light plane he was piloting crashed shortly after takeoff from his private airstrip on Cole Road in the Town of Fairfield.

1969

Little Falls native SSgt. Joseph Stanley “Stash” Zawtocki, Jr. died of starvation in the Quang Ngia Province of South Vietnam after spending 22 months as a prisoner of war of the Viet Cong.

1971

Edward and Adam Kolkowski died when they were returning home from Christmas shopping in Herkimer. Their Volkswagen Beetle was hit head-on by a car that had crossed a double line on a curve while passing another car. Ed was 24 years old and Adam was 22.

This Week in History” is brought to you by the Little Falls Historical Society. Please Visit the Little Falls Historical Society Website and please consider supporting the Museum by becoming a Member. Download the membership form here!