Dec. 26th

1911

The Greek Catholic Association has purchased from the Titus Sheard estate for $375, a plot of land on Furnace Street, opposite the Sheard dam, as a site for a new Greek Catholic church. There are about 200 members of the church in Little Falls, composed of Greeks and Russians.

1960

Tragedy was narrowly averted at the Little Falls railroad station when a fast eastbound train barely missed a good-sized group of persons preparing to board a west bound train which was just coming to a stop. In order to board their train the local passengers had to cross the rails the speeding eastbound train was on.

Dec. 27th

1911

St. Mary’s new School Hall opened with a dance and a party.

Dec. 28th

1885

Rebecca Batteson, the old colored woman died at the Johnson house on Second Street. Her son-in-law, Robert Johnson, stated that Becky was 117 years old and that she saw General George Washington when he arrived in Hudson, New York after independence was declared. Her precise age was not positivity known, but she was easily the oldest inhabitant in the village.

1888

Few people have an idea of the large amount of money that is being sent from Little Falls and villages along the Central railroad to New Orleans for lottery tickets. Prizes are drawn now and then, but so far New Orleans appears to have the best of the bargain.

Dec. 30th

1937

Homer P. Snyder passed away. He came to Little Falls in 1886, at age 23, as superintendent of the Saxony knitting mill. In 1896, he teamed with Michael Fisher to manufacture safety or “low” bicycles, and later formed the H. P. Snyder Co., a major bicycle supplier in the country. He served in Congress from 1915 to 1925 where he championed the cause of the American Indians.

1985

The Appellate Division of the Supreme Court has unanimously affirmed the decision favoring the City of Little Falls against the Town of Salisbury for a reduction in assessments on the city’s water system properties in that town. The total reduction in assessments amounted to $427,700.

Dec. 31st

1634

Dutch explorer Harmen Meyndertsz van den Bogaert left Fort Orange (Albany), and passed around the little falls, possibly south of Fall Hill, while visiting Iroquois Indian villages on his way to Oneida Lake. Most likely, he was the first white person to have visited this area.

1863

Dr. Maungwaduas, of the Chippewa nation, will have medicines for sale all this winter at a home on Gibraltar  Street , south side of the river, in Little Falls. The medicines are of roots and herbs for many diseases belonging to this country. Printed directions will accompany the medicines.

1896

The Register of Vital Statistics reported 171 deaths in Little Falls during 1896, including 31 deaths of children under the age of seven. The death rate was 17.1 per 1000 population. Twenty-one died in accidents, 23 from pneumonia, and 18 of consumption. Various other forms of lung trouble caused a good portion of the deaths.

This Week in History” is brought to you by the Little Falls Historical Society. Please Visit the Little Falls Historical Society Website and please consider supporting the Museum by becoming a Member. Download the membership form here!