This Week in History – Week of February 15th
Herkimer County was formed. It extended to the St. Lawrence and Lake Erie, until other counties were set up. Its east line was at the beginning of the rapids which separated Little Falls. In 1817 Manheim and Danube were added to Herkimer County.
Considerable excitement is now on as it is reported a case of smallpox is in our village.
Grand Knight G. Gerald Fiesinger announced the sale of the Knights of Columbus Home which will be razed for a new office building. The K of C has secured new quarters over Walach’s Men & Boy’s store, on Main Street.
Little Falls natives, and brother and sister duo, Raymond Goldstone and Ann Marcus (Dorothy Goldstone) won the Writers Guild of America award for their writing for the daytime TV series “Search for Tomorrow.” They had also been nominated for a Daytime Emmy for “Days of Our Lives” in 1978 and 1979. They passed away in California in 2008 and 2014.
The male communicants of the Episcopal church met at the stone schoolhouse for the purpose of incorporating themselves into a parish. Nathaniel Benton and George Feeter were elected wardens.
The Martha Washington Reception and Centennial Tea Party, given at the Skinner Hall by the ladies of the Presbyterian Church, was successful in every respect. The hall was tastefully decorated by a central pagoda containing thirteen booths with the ladies in traditional costume.
A fleet of 53 trucks passed through Little Falls today. It took the fleet fourteen days to travel from Buffalo to Albany.
It was the coldest day of the year as the mercury plunged to minus 32 degrees at the city reservoir off Top Notch Road. Old Forge tied a state record with minus 52.
George H. Feeter, born in Little Falls in 1789 and admitted to the bar in 1811 when Little Falls became a village, died today. He was an agent for the Ellice Estate, District Attorney from 1825 to 1828, a defense lawyer in the famous Nat Foster murder trial in 1834, and village president from 1849 to 1850 when Little Falls became known as “Rockton.”
The wonders of Edison’s “Projectoscope” were exhibited at the Skinner Opera House. There were 14 views, one an express train, which appears to be rushing down upon the audience. Admission was 25 cents; children 15 cents.
J. D. Frederiksen, cheese industry icon, inventor, author and manager of the Chr. Hansen Laboratories in Little Falls, died in Florida. Born and educated in Denmark, Mr. Frederiksen came to Little Falls in 1879. Very active in the community, he helped establish the Pine Crest tuberculosis sanatorium in Salisbury. He will be buried in Church Street Cemetery.
Standard Oil magnates from New York City are now absolute owners of the gas and electric plants in this city and surrounding communities. Representatives of the company gathered in the options for the purchase of the plants with money appearing to be no object.
Little Falls has too many dogs! Many complaints of savage dogs roaming the community have reached the police, and Chief Long has said he would get a Gatling gun and organize a dog extermination expedition. The Common Council was asked to appoint a dog catcher. Possibly one in each ward.
The Cheney Hammer Company, a fixture in Little Falls since 1854, was sold to the Collin Company of Collinsville, Connecticut. All the machinery was removed and sent to the Connecticut facility. The company had made a line of hammers for carpenters, machinists, and miners, and were considered the best in the world.
Those who advocate the extending to women the right of suffrage will hold their first area meeting in Little Falls. Mrs. E. L. Calkins, vice-president of the Indiana state W.C.T.U. will deliver a lecture on the subject. Susan B. Anthony, one of the prominent workers in this cause, will speak at some area meetings.
Patent Attorney C. J. Lundstrom is completing arrangements to start a factory in Little Falls to manufacture his patent filing cases. Hitherto, Mr. Lundstrom has had them manufactured for him, together with his patent bookcases, at the P. W. Casler plant.
D. H. Burrell & Co., of Little Falls, is among the firms which believe a measure of their prosperity belongs to the workmen. On the last pay day, each employee found an envelope with a check for a nice sum in addition his to regular wages.
The City of Little Falls was awarded a national first place in a “register to vote” competition for cities 9,000 to 10,000 population sponsored by the American Heritage Foundation. Of 5,325 people eligible to vote, 5,297 voted.
The South William Street bridge (Seeley Island bridge,) deemed as being unsafe, was closed to all vehicular and pedestrian traffic. The foundation was built about January 22, 1886 and the steel bridge was erected about May 1, 1886 at a cost of $7,500.
Little Falls native Richard Buckley, has released his latest book “Unique Place, Diverse People” through the Little Falls Historical Society. Buckley’s major work recounts 300 years of the social and political history of Little Falls. His main topics were the story of the black community, women’s contributions, and the accounts of the immigrant workers.
“This Week in History” is brought to you by the Little Falls Historical Society. Please Visit the Little Falls Historical Society Website and please consider supporting the Museum by becoming a Member! Download the membership form here!