This Week in History – Week of June 7th
Seventy-five people, from seven families, were driven from their homes this morning, with only scant, belongings in a tenement fire on East Mill Street near Seeley Street. Where the people can move to is in question, as the city already has a considerable shortage of homes.
Washburn’s Great Indian Circus was in town. All genuine Indians, their chiefs accompanied by their warriors will parade at 10:00.
James Jackson opened the “Temperance House” on the former Petrie block at the northeast corner of Albany and Second streets. Previously it was a hotel conducted by J. E. Kenfield on the second and third floors.
A gang of gypsies arrived here from the west. Police officer Lockwood jumped on the running board of one of their automobiles and saw that they kept right on moving until they got out of town.
St. Paul’s Universalist Church on Albany Street was dedicated today. Originally holding services at either the old Octagon church or the stone school, the Universalists, showing the tolerant spirit of the times, had also held services at the Baptist Church and funerals at the Methodist Church.
A big tanker, loaded with unrefined molasses, sank west of Lock 17, the entire cargo was lost, and the river for miles was made sticky and discolored. The river banks all the way to Fort Plain are lined with thousands of dead fish.
LFHS senior Tess Malone won the New York State Public High School Athletic Association Class C-D championship in the 400 meter dash in Kingston.
Michael Masi was appointed chief of the Little Falls police department by a unanimous vote of the Police and Fire Board. Masi first came to the Little Falls Police Department in 1992. Former chief Gregg DeLuca retired last month.
The lifetime savings of Mr. and Mrs. Bart Latorre was missing after a fire of mysterious origin at their home on Flint Avenue. The money, $3,082, hidden away in bedding could not be found after the blaze was extinguished. Officials believe it to be a case of robbery. Firemen were held up by trains at two crossings.
The new sewage lines on Southern Avenue are below the level of the river. Therefore, Southern Avenue sewage will be raised by pumps 11 feet to a line which will carry it to East Jefferson Street for movement to its disposal place in the river.
During his Revolutionary War 50th anniversary tour, General LaFayette, the famous French aristocrat and military officer, stopped to pay his respects at the grave of his old friend, Major Andrew Eacker Finck just east of Little Falls. Major Finck had been his Aide de Camp.
The body of the first Little Falls soldier to die in the Civil War was returned home for burial. Matthew Kennedy was given all the solemn honors a bereaved community could bestow on one who gave his life for his country.
The Common Council approved the purchase of five voting machines at a cost of $500 each. The machines will cut the number of election districts down to four, and one machine will be held in reserve.
Adam Lorenzoni, of this city, appeared on the national TV program, “It Could Be You”, in California where he had a surprise reunion with his daughter Rita Lorenzoni Osredkar.
The Little Falls First Baptist Church dedicated a plaque to the memory of Francis Bellamy, the author of the Pledge of Allegiance. The plaque was placed on the front of the church located on Albany Street. Bellamy was ordained in Little Falls and served the local congregation from 1879 to 1885.
After a heated discussion, the Board of Education reconsidered and will allow the graduating Class of 1908 to hold their exercises at the Skinner Opera House. The class had protested the BOE choice, the Methodist Church, was unsafe and their invitations listed the opera house. Chief Cooney had stated the opera house was more unsafe and corrections must be made.
Earlier in the month, President Wilson called on all men between the ages of 21 and 30 to register. As of this date, Herkimer County had registered 6,703 men including 1495 from Little Falls.
A big rush is expected at the Little Falls fire station for the sale of “army” jam, with the sale continuing until the supply lasts. The cost is about one-third of making the preserves. Flavors available are peach, blackberry- apple, blackberry, melon-lemon, and melon-ginger. One entrepreneur ordered 288 jars.
WW II Era – The first dance recital was presented by the pupils of Bernadette Hecox at the St. Mary’s Hall. The program consisted of forty dance numbers; some of the dancers were Jo Anne Howe, Rosalie Placidi, Ann Reardon, Nan McEvoy, Jean Pettingail, Joan Skinner, Mary Cody, Curtis Tucker, Carol Edgerton, Louise Van Slyke, and Joan Benthal.
Joe Morotti won his seventh game of the post-season, his second of the day, as the Ted Schoff coached Little Falls High School Mounties defeated Wilson Central 12 -5 to win the New York State Public High School Athletic Association baseball championship for Class C & D. The games were played in Little Falls’ Veterans Memorial Park before over 1,200 fans.
Dr. Radford C. Tanzer, age 97, Little Falls native, Dartmouth graduate and Harvard Medical School, passed away on this date. After stints in New York City, London, and the army, Dr. Tanzer returned to Dartmouth Medical School where he became an internationally renowned pioneer in reconstructive surgery. Note: He was valedictorian of his LFHS class at age 14.
It was a big day in Little Falls when veterans of the 34th returned from the War. All the buildings were decorated and people came into town on horseback and in wagons for the big parade. At 11:00 a.m. the train puffed into the station to happy shouting and cheering – but only about 400 of the 786 returned.
A merry-go-round is now being erected on the vacant lot opposite the north-east corner of Eastern Park, run by the Star Amusement Association. It furnishes a harmless and fascinating entertainment and will be well patronized. Take a ride!
There is sentiment growing for the reunion of those now surviving who first attended school in the old academy building in Little Falls after its completion in 1844. The “Old Guard” wants to gather within the old walls before they are torn down by the hands of improvement which is soon to happen.
Dr. Stephen Ambler Ingham, a practicing physician in Little Falls for over 56 years, has passed away. Many in the city had come to rely on him as their family physician. A life member of the Masonic Lodge, he once served as Health Officer and Coroner – was a devoted member and officer of the Presbyterian church.
The Safety Bureau of the ICC and the New York State Public Service Commission released their joint, 27 page report deeming that the cause of the April 19th train wreck at Little Falls’ Gulf Curve, resulting in the loss of 31 lives, was “excessive speed on a sharp curve.” Blame was placed squarely on the Engineer, Jesse Earl.
The Elks float won the grand prize in the huge six division Flag Day parade in Little Falls as a part of the local celebration of our nation’s bicentennial. Second place went to the City of Little Falls, and third place was a tie between the Moreland Park Mountain Men and the Polish Community Home.
This Week in History” is brought to you by the Little Falls Historical Society. Please Visit the Little Falls Historical Society Website and please consider supporting the Museum by becoming a Member. Download the membership form here!