Mar. 6th


The annual report for 1935 by Little Falls health officer Dr. George Eveleth showed there were 524 cases of contagious diseases in the city, including 260 cases of German Measles, 187 cases of measles, 25 cases of tuberculosis (5 fatal,) 27 cases of pneumonia (14 fatal,) and 16 cases of scarlet fever.


Al Mlinar, a resident at the Alpine Rehabilitation & Nursing Center since September 2019, celebrated his 105th birthday today with family and friends. The native of Little Falls and long-time resident, Al remembers kerosene lamps, trolley cars, walking to school, working for the CCC planting trees in Virginia, and working in a local slipper factory for 24 ½ cents per hour.

Mar. 7th


An immense crowd of 2,000 people witnessed the masquerade carnival at the canal rink. The costumes were varied and grotesque, and much fun was had by all present. The music was provided by the Citizens’ Band.


The St. Lawrence county papers are enthusiastic in their praise of Mr. David H. Burrell’s address upon “Ensilage,” delivered at the recent meeting of their counties Dairymen’s Association.


Ed Gregorka, of Gregorka’s Camera Shop, headed to St. Petersburg, Fla. To spend two weeks taking motion pictures of the experiences of a major leaguer at the St. Louis Cardinals training camp. The film was for use on mid-west television.

Mar. 8th


The first Little Falls library was incorporated at a meeting at Crane’s Tavern with 30 citizens in attendance. Thomas Smith was elected as chairman.


$250,000 in bonds were voted to begin construction of a municipal waterworks located at Beaver Creek, Klondike, King Springs, and Spruce Creek extending  by pipeline 16 miles to Little Falls. Many residents preferred to keep the old pump log system or a private roof-top gravity setup. Total conversion to the new water system is expected by 1889.


Cooney Brothers, harness makers have moved into new quarters, the old Methodist church parsonage.


Mr. William Peck of rural Little Falls, known as the “great American traveler,” has passed away. Noted in many respects, his greatest fad was in making European trips. He made 48 trips across the Atlantic and traveled extensively in Europe. Oftentimes he crossed the ocean and, returned home on the next steamer. Peck was the largest landowner in the county.


A raid at 97 Flint Avenue, by the Dry Enforcement Bureau of Utica, found one of the largest and most complex stills in this section of the state.  The still, valued at $30,000, occupied the entire house and was equipped so there were no telltale signs of its operation. Two boilers in the cellar, pipes, condensers, pumps, copper tubing, cookers, and several large vats of mash were dismantled and the debris sold to a junk dealer.

Mar. 9th


A proposal has been set forth by the New York Central Railroad to solve the grade level problems in the city. Over the years, dozens of people have been killed and scores of others have been injured by passing trains. The proposal calls for two subways, one overhead pedestrian crossing, and a motorcar overhead crossing at Third Street.


Loomis, David, and Elizabeth Burrell gave the Nathaniel Benton house on Garden Street, and $12,000, for its renovation, to the people of Little Falls, for a W.C.A.

Mar. 10th


The members of the Little Falls Farmers’ Club met at the office of William I. Skinner for their annual meeting. The subject mainly discussed was, “Roots for feeding dairy cows, their cultivations, preservation etc.”


Twenty-three year old Ensign Charles M. Tozer, a graduate of the Little Falls Academy and the Annapolis Naval Academy, is now a member of the United States Navy. Tozer had served on several naval vessels during the Spanish-American War, also served both in Cuba and Alaska and is now on his way to Manila to be a part of Admiral Dewey’s squadron.


A massive fire, of mysterious origin, enveloped the Dasey block and caused extensive water and smoke damage to the big Luries department store, Dasey dry goods store, and Miss Burns’ millinery shop. Losses were estimated at $45,000. Later in the month, Luries had a “Big Fire Sale” selling its entire stock.

Mar. 11th


The Victor Adams Hose Company, No. 1 of Little Falls was the Champion Drill Squad of New York State.

Mar. 12th


The Ellice Estate sold the lot at the southwest corner of Albany and Mary streets to the Baptist Association for a new church.


A cattle yard has been established by the railroad company near the Fifth Street crossing for the accommodation of loading and unloading sheep, swine, cows, etc.


The bell of St. Mary’s church was badly cracked by the recent frost, which will necessitate its being recast. In consequence the sexton rings it but a little.


A new game called “basket ball” was played in the Little Falls gymnasium.


The Little Falls Chamber of Commerce and the Little Falls Auto Club are going to try the experiment of an auto show. The event is attracting considerable interest, and all of the space at the Y.M.C.A. has been taken for the autos and accessories.


The first Post Office truck, an army surplus G.M.C., arrived in Little Falls today. The truck had no starter so the driver would back up a hill, and use gravity to start the truck when next used. An alternative was to never turn the truck off during business hours.


Razing of the old New York Central repair shop west of the Ann Street crossing brought to an end in what is believed to have been the oldest building in the city. The structure was built about 1792 as a terminal on the initial canal for the Western Inland Navigation Company.

This Week in History” is brought to you by the Little Falls Historical Society. Please Visit the Little Falls Historical Society Website and please consider supporting the Museum by becoming a Member. Download the membership form here!