This Week in History – Week of May 16th
The Buffalo Bill travelling show returned to Little Falls even though Buffalo Bill had retired. The show featured Jess Willard, the former prize fighter.
Artistic Director Vlad Iftinca and Bellinger Performing Arts presented an “Opera and Broadway Treasures” concert at the Masonic Temple in Little Falls before an enthusiastic, sold-out audience. Iftinca brought musical stars Kristn Mengelkoch, Musical Theater Soprano; Janara Kellerman, Mezzo-Soprano; John Moore, Baritone; and Peter Volpe, Bass to Little Falls. The featured artists were from the Metropolitan Opera and Broadway shows.
Dr. James Kennedy, Little Falls’ first doctor, who came to the “village” around 1797, sold his business and property on Church Street to Dr. Hosea Hamilton and John Dygert.
Confusion reigned as the main roadway through the village was called at various times, Western Avenue, Eastern Avenue, Catherine Street, First Street, and Main Street. A resolution was passed calling these various streets “Main Street.”
Prices at the market – Butter 45 cents a pound, Cheese 20 cents, Lard 30 cents, Eggs 40 cents a dozen, and Potatoes 63 cents a bushel.
The first match game of base ball of the season was played on the Academy grounds between the Shermans of Utica and the Pastimes of Little Falls. The score stood: Shermans, 53 runs: Pastimes, 28 runs. Learn more about early base ball in Little Falls on our virtual exhibit.
The Austrians engaged on the Main Street trenches attract much attention from the curious. The digging developed some interesting features of the ancient corduroy road over what was once a water hole near the intersection of Mary Street.
Mayor Dasey has contracted with the Little Falls Citizens’ band to conduct thirteen band concerts during the summer months – five each in Eastern and Western parks, and three at Clinton Park. The band has placed an order for new instruments.
A twelve year old girl on West Main Street submitted to an operation for appendicitis. Over-exertion in jumping rope is said to have caused the trouble.
The new Slovak church on East Jefferson Street was dedicated today as Christ Lutheran Church of Holy Trinity. The fine brick structure is a credit to the Slavish people of the city whose zeal and enterprise brought it into existence.
Movie stars James Cruze and Sidney Bracy made personal appearances at the Gem Theatre in Little Falls.
Local, state and federal officials were present at the groundbreaking for construction of the long-awaiting connector route between the East-West Arterial and the Little Falls Thruway interchange.
Phillip Grossman, who owns a saloon opposite the N. Y. Central Railroad Depot, is advertising “I will keep constantly on hand at my saloon a supply of Limburger Cheese, Bologna Sausage, and Lager Beer.”
For the parishioners of St. Mary’s Catholic church, the laying of the cornerstone for their new cathedral-like edifice at the corner of East Main and John Streets was a festive and impressive occasion.
Governor Roswell Pettibone Flower vetoed the city charter bill for Little Falls under the “back stairs” influence of Town of Little Falls supervisor Col. T Dasey. Dasey, fearful of losing extensive tax revenues should Little Falls become a city, has long opposed the measure.
An interesting game of basket ball was played at the gymnasium between ladies representing Utica and Little Falls, the latter winning by a score of 14 to 6. The large audience of about 500 was composed entirely of ladies and all were highly pleased.
There is nothing like a snow storm in the middle of May to bring back the annoying realities of Winter. An inch and a half of snow accumulated today in the city.
News notes: Seven men and one woman were prosecuted in Little Falls for violation of the village law prohibiting cattle in the street and paid a fine of one dollar. There were 8 west bound and 7 east bound trains through Little Falls at this date.
The Barge Canal construction has practically ruined the celebrated “Profile Rock” on Moss Island. A large concrete retaining wall is built alongside this historic structure. Initial plans called for entire obliteration of the rock, but a public appeal asked that as much of the rock be saved as possible.
Clocks were turned ahead in Little Falls, as the community joined the rest of the country in the first Daylight Saving Time.
It was a banner year for environmentalists as the decision was made that a Thruway connector bridge will not be built across Moss Island. City officials citing “an indeterminable delay” at the federal level, reluctantly agreed to a route east of the island.
Amos King came to Little Falls when he purchased the Saxony Mill, and for four years made woolen cloth, then made the facility a knitting mill when his son, Charles, joined him, as later did Homer P. Snyder. The mill was bought in 1901 by Carl J. Lundstrom for his bookcase factory.
The village trustees appointed a committee of 12 prominent men to investigate the subject of a water works which, after an extensive study, recommended the use of Beaver Brook as a village owned system.
Hancock Street is the name of the new street recently laid out over the Gildersleeve Rocks. Building lots are in high demand.
James Long was appointed to the police force in 1895, shortly after Little Falls became a city, and was promoted to Chief on February 6, 1906. After a long and colorful career, Long retired after 45 years of service and was given the honorary title of Police Chief Emeritus.
A remarkable railroad wreck occurred at Finck’s Basin when a passenger train was hurled from its track by boulders, in front of the fast Buffalo and Cleveland Special train. The only fatality was that of the baggageman. Ten passengers were hurt, none seriously. All traffic was moved to the West Shore Railroad.
The local press stated “Notwithstanding the hard times, failures and war rumors, our dairymen are hurrying forward their produce.” The streets of Little Falls were crowded with wagons as farmers shipped 1087 boxes of cheese weighing 70,503 pounds at the depot. Farmers and buyers made their bargains along South Ann Street by the bank building.
This Week in History” is brought to you by the Little Falls Historical Society. Please Visit the Little Falls Historical Society Website and please consider supporting the Museum by becoming a Member. Download the membership form here!