Nov. 8th

1901

A good start for better streets was made this week in Little Falls as paving some of the main thoroughfares with bricks has been started. The first street to be completed was from the railroad tracks to the Mohawk River bridge on South Ann Street.

1918

Leslie Bride has been twice wounded in action in France and is currently in a Red Cross hospital. After capturing an enemy trench, a grenade with a time fuse exploded and shattered his legs. Several of his comrades were killed.

2006

The Italian Community Bake Oven, on the outskirts of Little Falls, built around 1891 by Italian immigrant laborers near their work camp, who were building the Little Falls – Dolgeville Railroad, was added to the National Register of Historic Places. Hundreds of loaves of bread were baked each day. The oven was 16 feet wide, 20 feet deep, and 6 feet high.

Nov. 9th

1908

The I.O.O.F. Temple (“Odd Fellows”) opened on South William Street. It was the home of the Hippodrome Theatre movie house.

1914

The Board of Fire & Police purchased an Overland car for the fire chief. This was the first motor driven apparatus in the city. It carried two pyrene and two acid soda extinguishers.

1933

Mrs. Katherine S. Goodbread, of Little Falls, passed away at age 93. As a young lady, she joined the Nurses’ corps and served in the Civil War. Her passing brings to an end the 121st regiment of nurses, of which she was the last survivor.

Nov. 10th

1831

Abijah Mann and his son of Fairfield were crossing the Ann Street bridge over the Mohawk River, when a herd of 90 oxen were driven on it and the structure collapsed. The men were saved by clinging to the tails of the oxen as they swam downstream

1871

The new organized Band was out for the first time and gave a concert in front of the Cottage Hotel of P. J. Casler.

1894

Dr. Stephen A. Ingham, assisted by Drs. Gildman, Garlock, and Douglas, performed the first appendectomy at the Little Falls hospital.  The operation was entirely successful and was concluded without any sign of difficulty or uncertainty. The patient, Miss Emma Shear, is having a remarkable recovery.

1900

The Charity Ball, held on the second floor of the new Robert MacKinnon Mill, made thousands with the proceeds going to the Little Falls Hospital. Besides being a great financial success it was an important social event. Rath’s orchestra of Utica provided the dance music. After 11 o’clock a sumptuous supper was served on the third floor. MacKinnon paid all expenses.

1903

Little Falls native, Admiral Lester Anthony Beardslee, died this evening in Maine. A graduate of the Naval Academy, he participated in the Civil War, was Commander-in-Chief of the naval forces in the Pacific, and served under Commodore Perry in Japan.

1928

Phil Darling opened a Chevrolet dealership at the northeast corner of Albany and Mary streets in a building he had erected. The grand opening featured an orchestra. When World War II shut off the supply of autos, he closed his garage and sold the building to the American Store markets.

2013

Legendary Little Falls High School baseball coach Ted Schoff was inducted in the New York State Baseball Hall of Fame at ceremonies at the Hilton Hotel in Troy. Over a 31 year coaching career, Schoff’s  Mounties won 533 games, several league and 12 sectional championships, and a state title in 1982.

Nov. 11th

1918

The Cronkhite Opera House on the corner of South Ann and West Main streets burned.

1975

Loomis Burrell, son of David H. Burrell, husband of Louisa Loomis Burrell, died at his home at 659 East Main Street at age 103. Following in his father’s footsteps, he greatly improved dairy machinery, the efficiency of milk processing, and safety in the industry. He was the first Board Chairman of Cherry-Burrell.

1993

The center span of the Little Falls Aqueduct stood for 171 years; it finally collapsed late this evening. It had been more than a century since the last maintenance was conducted on it, a testimony of both the fitness of the original design and the skill of the workmen who built it. The aqueduct was built in 1822 as a feeder from the Western Inland Lock Navigation Canal.

Nov. 12th

1757

During the French & Indian War, the Mohawk Valley was the scene of much activity. On this day, Little Falls was raided by a party of French and their Indian allies known as “The Expedition of de Belletiere.”

1900

The Eagle Mills suffered a heavy loss, estimated at $25,000, in an early morning fire. The fire department was handicapped by the lack of long ladders, and the presence of mud in the fire hydrants. The fire started in the third floor carding room.

1915

Officer John Noonan is the first Little Falls policeman to have a motorcycle. In the first few weeks of the “breaking-in” period many speeding arrests were made, and now the fact of an officer in uniform standing by the machine has slowed down the speed artists.

1996

Third Ward Alderman Gregg DeLuca was officially appointed temporary Little Falls police chief at a special meeting of the Police and Fire Board. Deluca will replace Frank Lawrence who passed away in July after serving as police chief for 26 years.

Nov. 13th

1813

Commodore Perry passed through Little Falls on a packet after his victory at Lake Erie.

1828

It takes packet boats on the canal 24 to 28 hours to travel through Little Falls going from Schenectady to Utica.

1894

Excavation for the new passenger depot has begun with the excavated material being used for filling on Hansen Island.

1912

At 4 o’clock this morning, the Cheney Hammer shop was practically destroyed by fire of unknown origin. When discovered, the whole building was a mass of flames. Forty men are out of work, owner says the building will be rebuilt at once.

This Week in History” is brought to you by the Little Falls Historical Society. Please Visit the Little Falls Historical Society Website and please consider supporting the Museum by becoming a Member. Download the membership form here!