Oct. 24th

1915

Festivities concluded today with a solemn High Mass to celebrate the formal reopening of St. Mary’s church. The church has undergone extensive modernization highlighted by the installation of the beautiful stained glass windows made at the studios of John Hardman & Company of Birmingham, England.

1941

Robert Livingston and Edward Marion announced that Bernard J. Malone had been added to their firm as an associate. The law offices were located on the fourth floor of the Burrell building.

1987

Two local teachers, and one retired local history teacher are producing a videotape program “Journey to Yesterday: A Visual History of Little Falls.” Ralph Van Horn , legendary former history teacher, is narrator and current history teacher, Hector Allen, assists. Biology teacher, Joe Loiacono is the cameraman. Over a three-year period it is hoped to have three 1 ½  hour video presentations.

Oct. 25th

1878

A large ice house, with a capacity for holding 5,000 tons, is being built on the south side flats. The ice will be forwarded to city markets during the hot weather.

1902

The city breathed a sigh of relief after police, acting on a complaint, removed a box containing 50 pounds the high-powered variety of dynamite in the cellar of a home on Whited Street. The explosives had been stored there since the building of the Little Falls-Dolgeville railroad several years ago.

Oct. 26th

1837

The Hinman’s Cave (Hole), situated about one mile north of the village, was explored extensively by students from the Fairfield Academy. Using ropes they descended 100 feet from the surface. There was one room of importance being between 30 and 40 feet wide with dripping water.

1909

The new temple of the International Organization of Odd Fellows, on South William Street, is an ornament and enterprise of the local lodge. The front of the building is an especially fine piece of architecture and is admired by all beholders.

1964

Traffic moved for the first time over the South Side Arterial and bridge over the Mohawk River and Barge canal. There were no ceremonies. At the same time, the old lift bridge, between Mohawk Street and Flint Avenue, was closed, and workmen shortly will start removing it.

Oct. 27th

1882

Xerxes A. Willard, the man responsible in making Little Falls the “cheese capitol of the nation,” has died. He abandoned law as a career, became a farmer and was editor of the Herkimer County Journal, as well being an author on various phases of cheese making which became standards in the industry. He developed the method for establishing cheese prices and transmitting that information instantly across the country.

1887

Improvements in providing water power for running the large number of factories along the Mohawk River have been completed at a cost of about $60,000. Water is now running in the new raceways.

1894

A train bearing Governor McKinley, the famous Ohio statesman and champion of Protection, and future U.S. president,will stop in Little Falls today. McKinley will deliver an address in Clinton Park adjacent to the railway depot.

1910

Col. Theodore Roosevelt is to speak at the City Theatre in Little Falls today. He will be met at the train station by the local Military Band and escorted to the theatre to discuss the issues of the present campaign before a large crowd.

1971

There is opposition to the proposal for a county airport on Gun Club Road just west of Little Falls. Proponents state the airport is a necessary tool for economic development, while the opponents indicate the “luxury facility” caters to private plane owners with taxpayers footing the bill. The airport was never built.

Oct. 29th

1889

Partridges seem to be plenty in the market but at the same time the price is very high. They sell for $1.40 a pair, not dressed.

1919

A “human fly”, in the form of Sergeant George G. Polley, climbed to the top of City Hall. His progress was followed by searchlights from automobiles. After going over the cornice, he ascended the tower, and went to the top of the flag pole. He also stood on his head on the top of the tower.

1998

Legendary Dr. Bernard J. Burke, a family physician in Little Falls for over fifty years, has died. He was known for his compassion, kindness, and humility. Dr. Burke treated thousands of patients regardless of age, situation, or ability to pay. When he was needed he was there. He didn’t always get payment for his treatment, but he was always paid with gratitude and love from his patients. The library in Benton Hall Academy and the bridge spanning the railroad, Mohawk River, and the Erie Canal were named in his honor.

Oct. 30th

1895

Messrs. Snyder & Fisher announce that any resident of Little Falls who orders a bicycle of them before December 1st may have it for $50 net, strictly high grade, with a guarantee for one year. One floor of the factory will be for a bicycle riding school.

1912

The strike at the Phoenix Mill escalated as a riot broke out when the police tried to push their way through a crowd of tightly packed workers. Special officers were stabbed and shot. Many officers and strikers were hurt in a second riot raid at the Slovak gymnasium on German Street (Flint Avenue).

2017

With a little Hollywood magic, East Main Street, between Second and Mary streets, was made to look like a desolate and deserted area for the new Paramount Pictures film “A Quiet Place,” starring John Krasinski and Emily Blunt. About 140 people from the movie’s art department “transformed” Main Street. The footage shot in Little Falls  opened the movie.

This Week in History” is brought to you by the Little Falls Historical Society. Please Visit the Little Falls Historical Society Website and please consider supporting the Museum by becoming a Member. Download the membership form here!