Apr. 1st

1913

The water in the Mohawk River is believed to have been the highest since the great flood of 1865. John Stark, official water gauger for the city, reports a depth of 11 feet, 4 inches at the gauge located directly west of the Hansen Island bridge.

1916

The Little Falls Dairy Company’s plant near the Danube Street cut on the West Shore Railroad is open for business. There are 65 stockholders in the company which will receive and ship milk on a co-operative basis.

1921

There was a wireless telephone in the window of Coffee & McTiernan’s store which attracted considerable attention. It was run by two types of batteries and three dials.

1928

William E. Barnes came to Little Falls, after fifteen years in business in Corning, to open a watch repair business here in the city. A graduate of the Reese Engraving School, Barnes had his shop in the basement of the Burrell Building near the entrance to the elevator. He was visible from a large window facing the Main Street sidewalk. He was in business for decades.

1933

The four large brick and stone structures composing the Eagle Mills Company at the corner of West Main and Furnace streets, once owned by Hon. Titus Sheard, are being razed.

1949

Levee’s jewelry store advertised The RCA “Bystander” table model TV set for sale with “bright, clear, steady pictures on a big 52 sq. in. screen.” This is equivalent to a 7 ¼ inch screen!   No price was noted.

1971

After 48 years of service in the Little Falls Police Department, Francis F. Reardon retired today. Reardon had served as chief of the department faithfully and conscientiously for 30 years.

Apr. 2nd

1842

The village purchased two acres of land from James Monroe, at $90 per acre, for an addition to Church Street Cemetery.

1881

The estate of Henry Cheney, who died in 1878, was settled and the hammer factory was sold to Judge George A. Hardin, and the axe factory to Sheriff James H. Ives. Hardin, in turn, sold the hammer factory to Schuyler R. Ingham.

1917

Four days before the U. S. entered World War I, Company B of Cohoes arrived in Little Falls to guard the canal and railroad against sabotage. First stationed in the Zoller block, they moved to Moreland Park when the weather became warmer.

1929

Today marks the first appearance of the Legion Drum Corps.

2020

Arc Herkimer has purchased the Mohawk Valley Country Club and renamed it the “MV Golf and Event Center.” Established in 1907, it consists of an 18-hole golf course, restaurant and event space. Arc Herkimer is a private not-for-profit organization providing services and support at over 40 sites throughout Herkimer County for more than 600 people with disabilities.

Apr. 3rd

1780

The Rheimensnyders Bush mill and settlement, located east of the yellow church, on the Salisbury Road, just north of Little Falls was burned  by a party of sixty British and Indians, and many inhabitants were carried off to Canada.

1854

Little Falls had three paper mills, unfortunately all have been burned down. But Phoenix-like, they have all arisen again with new strength, beauty, and vigor. The Richmond mill is in operation, and the other two mills are nearly complete in construction.

1908

The city loses one of its most aged and interesting landmarks in the tearing down of the stone building on Main Street, once known as the McKinster Hotel. The building was recently visited by fire.

1917

A great campaign was initiated by Mayor Abram Zoller to have a branch of the American Red Cross in Little Falls. Led by many clubs and organizations, nearly 4,000 local citizens joined. The chapter was housed in the old bank building on South Ann Street after the bank’s move to new quarters in the Burrell building.

1933

As the Great Depression continues, the local taxpayers group demanded a further reduction in the city and school budgets, claiming homeowners can no longer afford current taxes. It was suggested that there be larger cuts for higher salaried municipal employees. There were heated verbal exchanges throughout the meeting. The city fathers approved the budgets.

Apr. 4th

1793

Before the Octagon Church was built, an agreement was drawn up stating that preaching was to be in German and English on alternating Sundays, and pews were to be sold to the highest bidders.

1833

Lawyer Arphaxed Loomis advertised water rights for sale.  About this time the Mill Street raceway was built that supplied power to many industries along the river.

1904

Titus Sheard, an industrial leader in Little Falls during the Gay Nineties, passed away today.

Apr. 5th

1892

Some property owners on East Main Street have begun proceedings against the Dolgeville Railroad Company for damages sustained by the bridging and cutting down of the highway in their vicinity. Damage in every case is laid at $1,000.

1973

Mayor Wind sent a letter to the president of the Little Falls Public Library informing him that the city would only fund the library for three months and not for the full year.

Apr. 6th

1903

The South Side Athletic Club has been reorganized with Frank O’Hara as manager. The club is negotiating for ball grounds on the north side between Little Falls and Herkimer that can be reached by trolley. 

1917

On this date, the United States entered World War I, and there was an immediate need for men, materials, and vast sums of money by means of patriotic loans to the federal government. The Trust  company organized a “Liberty Loan Club” for purchasing bonds and stamps.

1933

“New Beer’s Eve” passed quietly in Little Falls as the city went off the near beer standard. The tankard hoisters had their first legal brew at 3:00 am. It is questioned if the drinking public will pass up the heavier, more potent home brew for the just introduced Mr. 3.2 Per Cent.

1957

Showing faith in the future of Little Falls, two new retail stores opened for business – the P&C Market on North Ann Street and Walach’s Men’s and Boys’ Shop on East Main Street.

Apr. 7th

1899

The reserved seat sale has opened for the concert by the mandolin and banjo club of St. Lawrence University at the Skinner opera house. Prior to the concert, a full dress rehearsal will be given to the old folks of the city.

1914

At a special election, Little Falls voters approved a proposal to build a new City Hall, 786 to 75. David H. Burrell had made an offer one month earlier to donate $50,000 towards the cost of a new, centralized structure.

1933

Little Falls Dairy began to ship milk by tank truck instead of the West Shore Railroad.

1961

Three supermarkets were closed in Little Falls as a result of a strike against Loblaw’s by Local 1, Amalgamated Meatcutters, Butcher Workmen, and Affiliated Crafts Union. Affected locally, in addition to Loblaw’s were the Acme Market and the P&C Family Food Market. Pickets were on the streets.

Apr. 8th

1818

Robert Hinchman leased a lot on Main Street (site of former Woolworth store) from the Ellice Estate, and a hotel called the “Eagle Tavern” was built. Since few people could read or write, a bronze eagle adorned the building. Eventually it became known as the Hinchman House.

1890

A beautiful knitting mill, a substantial addition of the industrial wealth of Little Falls, has been built by Robert MacKinnon at the corner of Second and Mill Streets near the New York Central & Hudson River railroad.

1913

Through a bill signed by Governor Sulzer, the state has purchased the General Herkimer home in Danube. The homestead will be looked after by the State D.A.R. and the German-American Alliance. It will be opened as a historical site.

Apr. 9th

1804

The “Fall Hill and Turnpike Company” was chartered. The company was to build a wooden bridge across the river under the direction of Theodore Burr, which was believed to have been come into use in 1807 as a toll bridge.  The Fall Hill Turnpike came down Church Street from Eatonsbush, joined the Mohawk Turnpike, crossed the river, and went down the current Flint Avenue and continued west.

1868

The Little Falls Dramatic Association will give their first entertainment in Keller Hall.  Two splendid pieces, “The Idiot Witness” and the laughable farce “Don Paddy de Bazan,” will be presented with new scenery.

1889

While digging for the foundation for the new schoolhouse on Church street several skeletons have been found. When the old octagon church, which was built in 1792, stood on the site, the grounds were used for a cemetery.

1898

The first burial was made in the Fairview cemetery on the Eatonville Road, being that of the body of Jesse Flagg.

1917

A national guard sentry at Lock 17 on Moss Island was fired at by an unknown intruder at 10 o’clock this evening. An intense search by national guard troops and Little Falls police offered no clues as to the perpetrator. It was also reported that a sentry at the suspension bridge was shot at a few nights ago.

1959

The Allegro Shoe Company of Little Falls, a division of Cosmos Footwear Corporation, moved up to eighth place in the entire nation for shoe production in 1958. The local company, which has approximately 600 employees, shipped 4,229,454 pairs of shoes last year with a sales value of about $6,135,000.

Apr. 10th

1885

The Washington Hall property is undergoing extensive repairs preparatory to being turned into a hotel. The old cupola and the veranda on the side of the building have been removed.

1907

The Gem Theatre moved to a new location on Main Street.

Apr. 11th

1952

Attorney George Fiesinger sent a letter to the Police and Fire Board urging enforcement of a state law that children under 16 not be permitted to enter a theater unless accompanied by an adult. No action was taken.

1961

The University of Notre Dame concert band appeared at the Rialto Theatre sponsored by the Knights of Columbus No. 220.

Apr. 12th

1847

The Benton House, on the site of the future Hotel Snyder, opened for business to the public. The owner was Hon. Nathaniel Benton. The Post Office was also located there.

1866

An effort is being made locally to raise funds to send an agent to England to report upon the process of manufacturing and marketing cheese, the probable effect of the cattle plague, and other matters pertaining to the dairying interests in the state.

1877

Louis Ransom, the inventor of the steam street cars which are so successful in Philadelphia, is a native of Little Falls.

1941

An explosion in the cellar of the Murray gas station and home at the corner of Ward and East Main Streets demolished the building. William Murray was seriously hurt and later died from his injuries. It was thought that a buildup of gas fumes in the cellar caused the explosion.

1965

A wrecking crane was brought in to begin razing old structures in the “Downtown Urban Renewal” project. The first buildings to go will be the former Jay Smith Garage and the Grange Store at the corner of Albany and Second streets.

1972

Demolition is nearing completion on the First Presbyterian Church at the corner of Jackson and Lansing streets.

Apr. 13th

1824

Gresham Skinner, a native of Connecticut, died in the Town of Columbia (south of Ilion) at age 76. Mr. Skinner was the miller at the Little Falls gristmill at the time of the June 1782 attack by Royalists and Indians. He escaped by hiding under the water wheel.

1904

The people of Little Falls were sorry and shocked to learn of the death today of the Hon. Titus Sheard who was well known throughout the entire state. As a young boy, he worked in the mills in Yorkshire, England, and came to the United States in 1856. He saved his money for school, became a teacher and eventually was the owner of several large mills in Little Falls.

Apr. 14th

1795

A complete inventory of the property at the little falls under the management of John Porteous listed twelve houses, and also a bark mill, smith shop, currier’s shop, joiner shop, cooper’s shop, grist mill, fulling mill, saw mill, in addition to his dwelling and store. These buildings represented the beginning of the village of Little Falls. 

1902

John R. Taylor, proprietor of a local hardware store, inaugurated a movement to form a retail hardware dealers association in New York State.

1917

A great loyalty demonstration was held with two thousand men, young and old alike, parading prior to the patriotic meeting in the City theatre. Rev. C.B. Papa of Utica spoke in Italian and Steve Zeman in Slovak.

Apr. 15th

1915

Workman began tearing down the Wheeler – Harding block at the northeast corner of Main and Ann streets to make way for the new Burrell building.

This Week in History” is brought to you by the Little Falls Historical Society. Please Visit the Little Falls Historical Society Website and please consider supporting the Museum by becoming a Member. Download the membership form here!