Mar. 1st


At a meeting, residents of Little Falls gave their consent and professed a desire to erect a library in the village.


Richard Ray Ward transferred land to Nicholas Devereaux for a Catholic cemetery in Little Falls. Note:  The one-half acre of land was adjacent to the Church Street cemetery, and was eventually sold to the village and became “Arthur Street” when the Catholic cemetery was opened on Sherman Street.


The hospital, formerly located on North Ann Street, has been moved to larger quarters at the Ackerman property at 610 West Monroe Street. Future plans call for erection of a new building once the hospital association is in shape fiscally.


The Polish Roman Catholic community in Little Falls dedicated their new “basement” church on Furnace Street.


“Talkies” make a hit. Large crowds witness the initial Vitaphone productions at the Rialto and many praise the clarity of the machine. The movie, “Alias Jimmy Valentine” featured Lionel Barrymore, William Haines, and May McEvoy.


Stephen Adasek, son of parents from Myjava, Slovakia, had a dream. He wanted to build a theme park, “The Land of the Easter Bunny”, near Little Falls. Construction plans and specifications were drawn up for eighteen buildings and financial backing was received from New York City banks. However local banks did not back the plan and the dream died.


Today is moving-in day at the Valley View Courts housing project. The first five families to move in are Mr. and Mrs. Richard Grogan, Mr. and Mrs. Melvin Wauffle, Mr. and Mrs. Miles Gardner, Mr. and Mrs. James Bucenec and family, and Mrs. Alice Curtis.

Mar. 2nd


Rev. Samuel Orvis gave a lecture at Washington Hall on anti-slavery.

Mar. 3rd


The opening of the Skinner Hall ushered in an era of entertainment consisting of travelling shows, dances, G.A.R. meetings, and walking matches. Highlights of the day included a parade in the afternoon and dancing in the evening.


A chapter of the Order of Eastern Star was instituted In Masonic Hall to be known as Rock City chapter, No. 148. There were 63 charter members.


Beautiful Moreland Park in this city is the scene this winter of merry snowshoe and skiing parties of the younger crowd.


The “White Schoolhouse” on the south side of the river went up in flames. The neighbors tried to extinguish the fire by means of a bucket brigade, but were unsuccessful. The building was entirely consumed along with the contents. Insurance carried was $1,000.


The Great Depression is in its third year, and the common council appropriated an additional $5,000 for work relief projects. The police and firemen will contribute 5% of their salaries to relieve unemployment if other city workers and teachers do likewise.


George Wiley, born in Little Falls on May 7, 1881, died today in the Little Falls Hospital. Starting bicycling as a young boy as a form of healthful outdoor exercise, he became a five-time American champion. He then made 14 trips to Europe where he won the world title, and performed before the Old World’s leading figures including the late Kaiser Wilhelm.

Mar. 4th


The New York Grocery at 583 East Main Street advertised the following prices: 4 cans of tomatoes, corn, peas, or beets – 25 cents; 4 packages of Macaroni – 25 cents;  3#  Tea – 25 cents;  Hams, per pound – 7 cents;  3 # Sausage or Frankfurters – 25 cents;  13 large, juicy Naval Oranges – 25 cents.


The worst snow storm to hit Little Falls in years virtually closed the city. The blizzard dumped nearly 30 inches of snow. Main roads were plugged, secondary roads completely closed, schools closed, and many businesses and industries are shut down. Top Notch Road in the city was closed for four days.

Mar. 5th


After a fire at Crane’s Tavern, a roll-call showed that 23 volunteers from No. 1 company fought the  fire.


At the ballroom built over the McKinster Tavern, called the Cotillion Hall, a lecture was so well attended that the floor threatened to collapse. All present adjourned to a new factory.


A number of public spirited ladies, under the leadership of Mrs. W.H.H. Lintner, formed the “Little Falls Industrial School” at the Board of Education room at the Cronkhite block. Young ladies will be instructed in sewing and other similar pursuits.


The American eagle which has graced the flagstaff of the new city hall, “after high winds, folded its wings and fluttered mournfully downward to the top of the tower.” Fire Chief Cooney ascended the tower, got the eagle, and once repaired will be returned to its place.

Mar. 6th


The annual report for 1935 by Little Falls health officer Dr. George Eveleth showed there were 524 cases of contagious diseases in the city, including 260 cases of German Measles, 187 cases of measles, 25 cases of tuberculosis (5 fatal,) 27 cases of pneumonia (14 fatal,) and 16 cases of scarlet fever.


Al Mlinar, a resident at the Alpine Rehabilitation & Nursing Center since September 2019, celebrated his 105th birthday today with family and friends. The native of Little Falls and long-time resident, Al remembers kerosene lamps, trolley cars, walking to school, working for the CCC planting trees in Virginia, and working in a local slipper factory for 24 ½ cents per hour.

Mar. 8th


The first Little Falls library was incorporated at a meeting at Crane’s Tavern with 30 citizens in attendance. Thomas Smith was elected as chairman.


$250,000 in bonds were voted to begin construction of a municipal waterworks located at Beaver Creek, Klondike, King Springs, and Spruce Creek extending  by pipeline 16 miles to Little Falls. Many residents preferred to keep the old pump log system or a private roof-top gravity setup. Total conversion to the new water system is expected by 1889.


Cooney Brothers, harness makers have moved into new quarters, the old Methodist church parsonage.


Mr.William Peck of rural Little Falls, known as the “great American traveler,” has passed away. Noted in many respects, his greatest fad was in making European trips. He made 48 trips across the Atlantic and traveled extensively in Europe. Oftentimes he crossed the ocean and, returned home on the next steamer. Peck was the largest landowner in the county.


A raid at 97 Flint Avenue, by the Dry Enforcement Bureau of Utica, found one of the largest and most complex stills in this section of the state.  The still, valued at $30,000, occupied the entire house and was equipped so there were no telltale signs of its operation. Two boilers in the cellar, pipes, condensers, pumps, copper tubing, cookers, and several large vats of mash were dismantled and the debris sold to a junk dealer.

Mar. 9th


A proposal has been set forth by the New York Central Railroad to solve the grade level problems in the city. Over the years, dozens of people save been killed and scores of others have been injured by passing trains. The proposal calls for two subways, one overhead pedestrian crossing, and a motorcar overhead crossing at Third Street.


Loomis, David, and Elizabeth Burrell gave the Nathaniel Benton house on Garden Street, and $12,000, for its renovation, to the people of Little Falls, for a W.C.A.

Mar. 10th


The members of the Little Falls Farmers’ Club met at the office of William I. Skinner for their annual meeting. The subject mainly discussed was, “Roots for feeding dairy cows, their cultivations, preservation etc.”


Twenty-three year old Ensign Charles M. Tozer, a graduate of the Little Falls Academy and the Annapolis Naval Academy, is now a member of the United States Navy. Tozer had served on several naval vessels during the Spanish-American War, also served both in Cuba and Alaska and is now on his way to Manila to be a part of Admiral Dewey’s squadron.


A massive fire, of mysterious origin, enveloped the Dasey block and caused extensive water and smoke damage to the big Luries department store, Dasey dry goods store, and Miss Burns’ millinery shop. Losses were estimated at $45,000. Later in the month, Luries had a “Big Fire Sale” selling its entire stock.

Mar. 11th


The Victor Adams Hose Company, No. 1 of Little Falls was the Champion Drill Squad of New York State.

Mar. 12th


The Ellice Estate sold the lot at the southwest corner of Albany and Mary streets to the Baptist Association for a new church.


A cattle yard has been established by the railroad company near the Fifth Street crossing for the accommodation of loading and unloading sheep, swine, cows, etc.


The bell of St. Mary’s church was badly cracked by the recent frost, which will necessitate its being recast. In consequence the sexton rings it but a little.


A new game called “basket ball” was played in the Little Falls gymnasium.


The Little Falls Chamber of Commerce and the Little Falls Auto Club are going to try the experiment of an auto show. The event is attracting considerable interest, and all of the space at the Y.M.C.A. has been taken for the autos and accessories.


The first Post Office truck, an army surplus G.M.C., arrived in Little Falls today. The truck had no starter so the driver would back up a hill, and use gravity to start the truck when next used. An alternative was to never turn the truck off during business hours.


Razing of the old New York Central repair shop west of the Ann Street crossing brought to an end in what is believed to have been the oldest building in the city. The structure was built about 1792 as a terminal on the initial canal for the Western Inland Navigation Company.

Mar. 13th


P.W. Casler & Co. announced that their new sawmill, planing mill, and dry kilns on the south side of the river are in operation, and the company is prepared to furnish building material of all kinds promptly and at the lowest prices. Saw dust is also for sale.


Thinking that her ten year-old daughter had been insulted and threatened, Mrs. Tony LaVista shot Carmelo Thamberro in the chest with a .38 caliber revolver. District Attorney Ward is busy trying to see if there is not something under the surface.


A 1928 Essex sedan could be bought at the P.E. Whitcomb Ford dealership for $25. A 1930 Willys roadster was $50.


A letter from the Chairman of the Little Falls Citizens’ Advisory Committee to Mayor Wind suggests that the city discontinue funding the Little Falls Public Library.

Mar. 14th


To attract skilled craftsmen to settle in Little Falls, it was determined that an improved road was needed. On this date, Porteous received a letter from Albany informing him that the Senate, led by Southern members, had defeated a bill for road work at the little falls. They claimed the treasury was too low for such projects.


By an act of the New York State legislature, commissioners were appointed and the Herkimer County National Bank was organized and located in the village of Little Falls. Commissioners included Nathaniel Benton, Dudley Burwell, Arphaxed Loomis, and David Petrie. It was opened in the Beattie House at the corner of Main and William streets on August 24th , and moved in December to the new bank building.


At Taylor’s Jewelry Store, Ladies’ gold watches are on sale at $30 to $50, and Gents’ gold watches from $50 to $100. Also offered are gold chains, necklaces, lockets, wedding rings, and diamond rings. The advertisement screams, “the fact is, tjmes are hard and money scarce” – “we offer our entire stock at a great reduction in price.”


WW II Era – LIFE magazine has decided to make Little Falls the locale for a feature on “A Small City at War.”  Former resident Ann Marcus (Dorothy Ann Goldstone) and famed photographer Alfred Eisenstaedt plan to devote several pages to photos and narrative from this city. (The war ended before the article could be published.)


Another famous Little Falls landmark is soon to vanish from the Main Street scene. The venerable clock provided by the Herkimer County Trust Company on the corner of the Burrell Building is being taken down today. The old clock was erected in 1918.

Mar. 15th


County Commissioners issued John Porteous a license “to retail Strong Liquors” presumably at his home/ store/ tavern at the little falls.


A private military company was formed, and a troop of horse or cavalry was organized from members who owned saddle horses. A General Muster Day was held annually in the fields above Main Street on what is now Garden Street.


The roller skating rinks at John and Main streets burned. No building has been erected since. It is now the site of St. Mary’s playground.


Actress Zoe Gayton arrived in Little Falls on her 3,395 mile walk from San Francisco to New York City. She was attempting to win a $2,000 wager that she could make the trip in 226 days. At Little Falls she was 206 miles ahead of schedule. As she left the city, many people walked with her toward St. Johnsville.


In a newspaper editorial, John B. McGuire agreed with a plan to give up the practice of sending floral tributes to departed friends, and instead divert the large sums spent for charitable purposes.


Around this date, the library board sent a letter to the Mayor and Common Council regarding a need for emergency funding to keep the library open for the remainder of the year.


Queensboro Farm Products, Inc. permanently closed its milk processing plant on Loomis Island after 20 years of operation. The company, which moved to Frankfort, indicated that the cost of constructing a sewer line hook-up plus the annual sewer charges were important factors in the company’s decision to move.


Natale (Nat) Bellochi, born in Little Falls of Italian immigrant parents, passed away. A graduate of Georgia Tech and Georgetown, he was a Korean War veteran and Ambassador to Botswana. Most of his time was spent in Asia, where he was considered the foremost U. S. expert on Taiwan affairs.

Mar. 16th


A traveling exhibition of waxworks and paintings showed at the MacKinster Hotel.


Tuition per term at the Little Falls Academy was: Primary Department $2.50; Spelling, Reading, Geography & Common Arithmetic $3.50; and High Studies $4.50 to $5.50.


Calico will be very largely worn this year, whether because of the hard times or the centennial year, has not yet been determined.


A delegation of local citizens called on President Chauncy M. Depew of New York Central Railroad of New York City. He agreed to build a new freight house and passenger station in Little Falls.


A damaging blaze in the Jefferson Street school early this morning, originating in the furnace room, left two rooms badly scorched. Fortunately, none of the students had reported for the morning session.  Insurance covered all of the costs except on students’ books.


Mr. Searight, manager of the West Monroe Street ice skating rink, claims he got no money for managing the facility, and said the only thing he got was pneumonia. One payroll was met by D.H. Burrell to keep the rink open.


The New York Telephone Company announced that the city was due for dial phone service starting today. The new building opposite the City Hall has been completed and equipment installed to allow local patrons to dial almost anywhere in the United States.


The Herkimer County Trust Company has added two women to serve on the board of directors – the first women in the area to serve in that capacity. Both women, Mrs. Lillian W.B. Fisher and Mrs. Pamela B. Wright, come from families who have a long and distinguished history in Little Falls’ financial institutions.

Mar. 17th


After a huge storm, the Mohawk River rose fifteen feet in a few hours and flowed over the stone bridge at the foot of Ann Street. Mill Street, between Ann and Elizabeth streets, was submerged to the depth of three feet. The bridge at Fink’s Basin was swept away.


The old limestone sidewalks in the city are most of them so smooth that they are a constant source of danger to pedestrians. It costs but little to have them roughed by a stonecutter, and it ought to be done.


Little Falls had a St. Patrick’s Day surprise with the largest winter storm to occur in many years, The highways and the Dolgeville railroad were blocked and to make things worse the temperature dropped to -12F in parts of the city.


Charles King, the last president of the village of Little Falls and the first mayor of the city of Little Falls, died at his home in Boston after a brief illness. Mr. King was the well-known owner, with his father, of the Saxony Knitting Mill.

Mar. 18th


An extraordinary large horse, from California, is being exhibited at the Star Academy. He is said to be about seven feet high, weighing about 2,000 pounds. Ten cents admission is charged.


William Evans has closed his moving picture and vaudeville theatre, on Ann Street near John, known as the Royal Theatre. With the rivalry of three such places and a 10 cents admission charge, the Royal could not produce the revenue to stay open.


H. W. Snyder, of H. P. Snyder Manufacturing Co., said that the U. S. bicycle industry was in danger from imports. Almost 600,000 bicycles were imported in 1953, about 40 times the 1949 imports.

Mar. 19th


William Alexander and Hendrick Frey, as executers of the will of John Porteus, conveyed to Alexander Ellice lots 12 and 13 of the Burnetsfield Patent. This property, on the north side of the Mohawk River, comprises most of what is now Little Falls.


The old Church Street School has been cleared of its furniture etc. and contractors will start the work of pulling down the old structure. The bricks for the new building are on the ground.


A bill has been signed in Albany, allowing the annexation of a part of the Town of Little Falls to the City of Little Falls.  The annexed area contains the new city reservoir.


The old Nathaniel S. Benton property, corner of Garden and Jackson streets (current W.C.A.) was sold by Mrs. Catherine B. Gray of New York City, to Messrs. John O’Rourke and John Hurley composing the firm of O’Rourke & Hurley.


The St. Joseph’s Society No. 53, a cultural, social, and beneficial organization of the Slovenian immigrants to Little Falls from the Austro-Hungarian Empire, celebrated their 55th anniversary with a banquet at the Slovenian Home on Danube Street.


Amos P. Clark, an employee of the City of Little Falls for the past 54 years as custodian at the city hall, was found dead in the City Hall boiler room. Death was attributed to natural causes.


A large mudslide from the Rollway knocked a garage at 1 West Casler Street off of its foundation. Water overflowed its normal path, saturated an embankment causing approximately 50 feet of earth and rocks to slide over a retaining wall crushing the garage.

Mar. 20th


John Porteus passed away, and his son-in-law, William Alexander, took over management of the Ellice Estate, and replaced Porteus as Postmaster.


The Baptist church in this village, a fine stone edifice, was solemnly dedicated today. The Rev. E. Galusha delivered an appropriate discourse to the extensive congregation present.


Henry Cheney and Silas W. LeRow moved their hammer manufacturing operation from Fly Creek to the former fulling and carding mill of William Ingham in Little Falls.


Although open for four months, the Little Falls hospital, at 14 North Ann Street, became a legal entity, after two years of hard work on the part of a group of spirited women intent on improving the health of the community’s people. Two years later the facility moved to larger quarters at 610 Monroe Street.


From all indications Little Falls will witness a building boom in 1897. Robert MacKinnon will build a new five story factory for knit goods. Other new construction projects planned are at the Stacy Company on John Street, Irving Snell a factory on Albany Street, improvements at the electric works, and an addition to the Barnett tannery for the manufacture of russet leather.


According to a state study, Little Falls had one restaurant liquor license for every 218 inhabitants. Albany’s ratio was one to 422, Syracuse’s one to 462, and Buffalo’s one to 465.


Gordie Douglas, 19, signed a contract with the New York Yankees to play with the Class D Olean team. He was the first Little Falls player to sign with organized baseball since Ray Shepardson in 1924.


One of Little Falls’ oldest established industries, the Gilbert Knitting Company, has been sold. Arthur Van der Gracht, retiring president, and Mr. Maxwell Schultz made the joint announcement. Mr. Schultz and Mr. Charles Frost, both of New York City represent the new owners. Mr. Schultz will conduct the affairs of the company as president.


Three businesswomen from Canal Place, Gail Hammond, Jayne Ritz, and Linda Vincent, joined forces to create a “Community Heritage Garden” along the western boundary of Sterziner Park in Canal Place. Perennial plants were collected or donated by gardeners and organizations in the city for the project.

Mar. 21st


A Leap Year Ball was held at the Washington Hall which had been erected by S. W. Stinson in 1842.


Mr. Lookin is building a hotel adjoining the West Shore Railroad station.


The contract for erecting the Hotel Richmond was awarded to the firm of Gifford and Pierce for $75,525.


The Knights of St. Paul basketball team, representing the Methodist Episcopal Church, proved to be one of the swiftest amateur organizations in the vicinity, and finished the season undefeated.


Ben Schwartzwalder, coach of the 1959 Syracuse University national champion football team, spoke at 16th annual sports banquet of the Varsity Club held at the DeCarlo-Staffo Post.


Another railroad landmark is coming down. The metal pedestrian overpass, just east of the depot, was removed. It was used comparatively little since the pedestrian subway was opened.

Mar. 22nd


A strong hope was indulged that after petitioning for a bank at this place for the last ten years, and after frequent favorable reports that our wants would be gratified, but when it came to a showdown it was killed, the reason of a result so unexpected and injurious to our interest, is supposed to be the ungenerous opposition from the Village of Herkimer.


“The man who was seen walking off with the Thermometer in front of No. 5 Keller Block, will please return it to its nail, and no questions asked.” – Newspaper advertisement by George Keller


After being a thorn in the city’s side for the last ten years, the Allegro Shoe Company’s six story, 140,000 square foot building on South Ann Street is coming down. One of the largest shoe manufacturers in the nation, and a major employer in the city for many years, the company fell victim to cheap foreign imports. In 1974  the company moved to a smaller facility in the Little Falls Industrial Park.


Almost half of the City of Little Falls is tax exempt. The state Board of Equalization and Assessment reported a 42.8% exempt ratio for the city, with 110 properties totally exempt; and 506 partially exempt, out of a total of 2,189 properties. Statewide the exempt ratio is 33%, and for Herkimer County 27.1%.

Mar. 23rd


The Slovenian Home, first formed in 1905 as a cultural, social, and beneficial society, became incorporated under New York State law on this date. The members had immigrated  to Little Falls from the Slovenia area of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.


Leon Dussault, born in Little Falls in 1895, and co-owner of the “Journal & Courier” printing company, died on this date. Mr. Dussault founded the Little Falls Symphony Orchestra in 1927, and conducted the exceptional ensemble of local and area musicians through its final concert in 1971. National and international acclaimed performers  frequently appeared with the orchestra.

Mar. 24th


Elbana Williams offered a resolution to the State Legislature to make a survey around the rapids in the Mohawk River.


As of this date, Little Falls has 3,000 population, 40 stores, 2 printing offices, 5 hotels, 1 bank, 5 churches, numerous schools,  – the manufacturies consists of 2 paper mills, 2 saw mills, 3 foundries, 1 machine shop, 1 sash factory, 1 axe factory, 1 woolen factory, 1 clothing factory, 1 distillery, 1 brewery, 1 plasster mill, 2 trip-hammers, and numerous factories in the n=manufacture of Copper, cabinets, carriages etc.


A. M. Kinney, dealer in horses, will have two car loads of horses for sale today.

Mar. 26th


The former Andy’s Grill on Loomis Street, a long-time bar and meeting place in the Manheim section of Little Falls, is no more. As a part of Urban Renewal, the property has been turned into a residence for which applications are being made from first-time home owners.

Mar. 27th


The “Wang Sing Chinese Laundry,” was started in the Fleming block on the corner of South Second and Albany Streets. Shortly afterwards a second Chinese laundry started in Little Falls.


The first train station in Little Falls will soon be razed. The station is located between West John Street and the railroad tracks near the “Flatiron” building which holds the office for the S.F. Jones Coal Company.


WW II Era – The FBI said 3,637 aliens had registered in Herkimer County including 1,128 “enemy aliens,” 950 from Italy, 146 from Germany, and 32 from Romania and Hungary. The Little Falls Post Office had issued certificates of identification to all aliens of enemy nationalities age 14 and older. Police confiscated radios, cameras, and firearms.

Mar. 28th


Rev. Henry Macilravy, an evangelist from Little Falls, is the spiritual adviser for Chester Gillette, the murderer of Grace Brown in the famous Adirondack tragedy.  He is working with Gillette’s family to free him from execution.


The single blast of the fire alarm just before noon marked the flight over Little Falls by the noted aviatrix, Amelia Earhart. Bad weather forced her to land her tiny Avro biplane in a cornfield in Marcy. She was en route to Buffalo to attend an air exposition.


A large contingent of 3,500 fans from Little Falls, travelled to Syracuse to see the Wilber Crisp coached high school team defeat Cohoes 25 to 9 to win the New York State basketball championship. Splendid teamwork on the part of the purple & white, and the scoring of Beck and Kane were too much for Cohoes. Crisp and Mucica were heard over the radio after the game.

Mar. 29th


The Gansevoort Estate of Albany, which purchased local lands of Ellice, agreed to set up a public square as suggested by Arphaxed Loomis. It is now Western Park (Burke Park.)


Temperance – The ladies of the village have sent to the Trustees a long petition, signed by over 200, praying the exertion of their powers to stop gaming houses and grant no more liquor licenses.


As the village of Little Falls grew, it extended into the towns of Little Falls, Danube, and Manheim. On this date, voters passed a resolution, by a 914 to 77 vote, to petition the New York State Legislature for Little Falls to change its status to that of a city.


The Joint Legislative Committee on Preservation and Restoration of Historic Sites has recommended that Moss Island  be given serious consideration by the State of New York as a park and geological site. Local residents, City Historian Edward J. Cooney and Donal Hurley have long championed the cause.


Members of the LFHS 1929–1930 state championship basketball team celebrated the 50th anniversary of the victory at a dinner party. In attendance were Milan Paracka, Sam Maddaloni, Jimmy Kane, Leland Clark, and Garner Beck.

Mar. 30th


The Inland Lock and Navigation Company was incorporated with General Philip Schuyler as president. The capital stock was $300,000, but the state added funds when necessary. The work at Little Falls cost $22,500.


Workers on the Western Inland Land Navigation Company were paid as follows: Blacksmith 10 shillings (s) per day, Carpenters 10 s per day, and Laborers 6 s per day, and each was furnished his own bedding, provisions, and liquors, and work from sunrise to sunset allowing one hour at breakfast and at dinner. The company will provide the cook.


John Porteous was appointed postmaster at the little falls, and the post office was located in his store. The early mail was delivered once a week punctual by Adam Feeter.


The New York State Legislature granted a charter to incorporate a part of the Town of Little Falls as a village. Agents for the Ellice Estate appear to have had a hand in drafting the charter of nine handwritten pages, as the powers were very limited. By 1811, Little Falls contained about 30 or 40 houses, stores, a tavern, some mills, and a church. The entire village was on the north side of the Mohawk River.


A large fire at the Little Falls Knitting Mill, commonly known as “Bailey’s Mill”, caused about $30,000 in damages. Of major concern is the welfare of the two hundred and forty hands to whom the mill gave employment and who at this time are without work.


The bicycle is fast becoming a popular means of recreation. A cinder path was laid out from Little Falls to Herkimer.

Mar. 31st


Today was the first day of “Daylight Saving Time” in the entire United States. Little Falls practiced the new time schedule, where some other communities kept the practice of “God’s Time.”


Former city treasurer John L. Lockwood pleads guilty to embezzlement of city funds and is sentenced to 1 ½ to 2 years in Auburn prison. The shortage amounted to $6,410.


A rousing and enthusiastic welcome was accorded the Wilbur Crisp coached Little Falls High School basketeers – the Section 3 overall champs – on their triumphant return home from Syracuse. Led by Paul Mosny, Jim Brown and Bob McCully, the purple and white defeated Cherry Valley 59 -40 in the final.

This Week in History” is brought to you by the Little Falls Historical Society. Please Visit the Little Falls Historical Society Website and please consider supporting the Museum by becoming a Member. Download the membership form here!