Apr. 3rd


The Rheimensnyders Bush mill and settlement, located east of the yellow church, on the Salisbury Road, just north of Little Falls was burned  by a party of sixty British and Indians, and many inhabitants were carried off to Canada.


Little Falls had three paper mills, unfortunately all have been burned down. But Phoenix-like, they have all arisen again with new strength, beauty, and vigor. The Richmond mill is in operation, and the other two mills are nearly complete in construction.


The city loses one of its most aged and interesting landmarks in the tearing down of the stone building on Main Street, once known as the McKinster Hotel. The building was recently visited by fire.


A great campaign was initiated by Mayor Abram Zoller to have a branch of the American Red Cross in Little Falls. Led by many clubs and organizations, nearly 4,000 local citizens joined. The chapter was housed in the old bank building on South Ann Street after the bank’s move to new quarters in the Burrell building.


As the Great Depression continues, the local taxpayers group demanded a further reduction in the city and school budgets, claiming homeowners can no longer afford current taxes. It was suggested that there be larger cuts for higher salaried municipal employees. There were heated verbal exchanges throughout the meeting. The city fathers approved the budgets.

Apr. 4th


Before the Octagon Church was built, an agreement was drawn up stating that preaching was to be in German and English on alternating Sundays, and pews were to be sold to the highest bidders.


Lawyer Arphaxed Loomis advertised water rights for sale.  About this time the Mill Street raceway was built that supplied power to many industries along the river.


Titus Sheard, an industrial leader in Little Falls during the Gay Nineties, passed away today.

Apr. 5th


Some property owners on East Main Street have begun proceedings against the Dolgeville Railroad Company for damages sustained by the bridging and cutting down of the highway in their vicinity. Damage in every case is laid at $1,000.


Mayor Wind sent a letter to the president of the Little Falls Public Library informing him that the city would only fund the library for three months and not for the full year.

Apr. 6th


The South Side Athletic Club has been reorganized with Frank O’Hara as manager. The club is negotiating for ball grounds on the north side between Little Falls and Herkimer that can be reached by trolley. 


On this date, the United States entered World War I, and there was an immediate need for men, materials, and vast sums of money by means of patriotic loans to the federal government. The Trust  company organized a “Liberty Loan Club” for purchasing bonds and stamps.


“New Beer’s Eve” passed quietly in Little Falls as the city went off the near beer standard. The tankard hoisters had their first legal brew at 3:00 am. It is questioned if the drinking public will pass up the heavier, more potent home brew for the just introduced Mr. 3.2 Per Cent.


Showing faith in the future of Little Falls, two new retail stores opened for business – the P&C Market on North Ann Street and Walach’s Men’s and Boys’ Shop on East Main Street.

Apr. 8th


Robert Hinchman leased a lot on Main Street (site of former Woolworth store) from the Ellice Estate, and a hotel called the “Eagle Tavern” was built. Since few people could read or write, a bronze eagle adorned the building. Eventually it became known as the Hinchman House.


A beautiful knitting mill, a substantial addition of the industrial wealth of Little Falls, has been built by Robert MacKinnon at the corner of Second and Mill Streets near the New York Central & Hudson River railroad.


Through a bill signed by Governor Sulzer, the state has purchased the General Herkimer home in Danube. The homestead will be looked after by the State D.A.R. and the German-American Alliance. It will be opened as a historical site.

Apr. 9th


The “Fall Hill and Turnpike Company” was chartered. The company was to build a wooden bridge across the river under the direction of Theodore Burr, which was believed to have been come into use in 1807 as a toll bridge.  The Fall Hill Turnpike came down Church Street from Eatonsbush, joined the Mohawk Turnpike, crossed the river, and went down the current Flint Avenue and continued west.


The Little Falls Dramatic Association will give their first entertainment in Keller Hall.  Two splendid pieces, “The Idiot Witness” and the laughable farce “Don Paddy de Bazan,” will be presented with new scenery.


While digging for the foundation for the new schoolhouse on Church street several skeletons have been found. When the old octagon church, which was built in 1792, stood on the site, the grounds were used for a cemetery.


The first burial was made in the Fairview cemetery on the Eatonville Road, being that of the body of Jesse Flagg.


A national guard sentry at Lock 17 on Moss Island was fired at by an unknown intruder at 10 o’clock this evening. An intense search by national guard troops and Little Falls police offered no clues as to the perpetrator. It was also reported that a sentry at the suspension bridge was shot at a few nights ago.


The Allegro Shoe Company of Little Falls, a division of Cosmos Footwear Corporation, moved up to eighth place in the entire nation for shoe production in 1958. The local company, which has approximately 600 employees, shipped 4,229,454 pairs of shoes last year with a sales value of about $6,135,000.

This Week in History” is brought to you by the Little Falls Historical Society. Please Visit the Little Falls Historical Society Website and please consider supporting the Museum by becoming a Member. Download the membership form here!