This Week in History – Week of Aug. 22nd
Barnum & London Shows rolled into Little Falls featuring “Jumbo” the massive elephant, 3 circuses in 3 rings, 2 enormous menageries, and the 7 largest shows on Earth. The shows were viewed in two huge tents.
The steam launch, formerly called “Victor Adams,” was set afloat on the river off Moss Island under the new name of “The Hadley Jones.” The boat will seat twelve persons and will run between Moss Island and Five Mile dam, for pleasure parties.
Local liquor dealers had one of the most jolly outings, enjoying a day of royal sport at their clambake at Camp Jolly. On a day of perfect weather, everyone sang, drank, danced, drank, ate, drank and entered heartily into the sports.
Harry Atwood flew the first airplane, a Wright Biplane, over the Mohawk Valley, passing a little to the south of Little Falls, on his famous flight from St. Louis to New York City. The distance of 1265 miles was covered in 28 hours and 31 minutes.
Business commenced at the Herkimer County National Bank on this Saturday morning. Dudley Burwell took the contents home, deposited them under his bed without a pistol or club near them.
Miss Mary Clark won the popularity contest at the Rialto Theatre, sponsored by local merchants, and was given a free trip to Bermuda in October. She was crowned by Mayor Santry as “Miss Little Falls.” Allowed to take a friend, she chose Miss Coletta McLaughlin.
The city of Little Falls has an official flag. It was designed through the cooperation of Acting City Engineer John Gallagher, Mrs. Mary Louise Cooney, and Architect Charles Maltby. The flag features a “Little Falls” diamond, and the wording “City of Little Falls, New York,” “Est. 1811,” and “Inc. 1895.”
The new lookout on the Little Falls – Dolgeville highway has been completed. The beautiful Mohawk Valley is viewed showing the river, canal, NYCRR, highways, and rolling hills.
A vital city resource has been returned to the Little Falls community with the early August reopening of the Francis Skinner Municipal Swimming Pool. The revitalization project was achieved through the efforts of the City DPW, city government, local businessmen and factory owners, area contractors, and many, many dedicated volunteers.
Mr. Henry Cheney, founder of the Cheney Hammer Company in Little Falls, has bought the local axe factory lately owned by Mr. Barry Van Vechten.
A robber detached the “baggage wagon” from an eastbound train a short distance east of Little Falls. It was discovered missing a few minutes later, and the train slowly backed up to the village. Two railroad hands surprised the robber going through the mail and belongings, subdued him, and promptly “closed” the case.
Restante’s Dairy advertised milk at 23 cents a quart for home delivery, and 21 cents a quart at their dairy bar on Flint Avenue. A special price of 6 quarts for $1.15. They asked that bottles be returned daily.
Twelve opera singers from Mexico, studying in Little Falls, presented a “Voices of Mexico” concert at Benton Hall Academy under the direction of Mathieu Guertin. They were accompanied by international pianist Vlad Iftinca, who is from Romania and now resides in Little Falls and Teresa Rodriguez.
Only taxpayers will be allowed to vote on the proposition to raise $10,000 for the installation of an electric lighting system in Little Falls. Newspaper editorials opined: “Those who have to do the paying should have the say.” The proposal passed 176 to 165.
This Week in History” is brought to you by the Little Falls Historical Society. Please Visit the Little Falls Historical Society Website and please consider supporting the Museum by becoming a Member. Download the membership form here!