This Week in History – Week of February 22nd
Severe snow storms over the past week nearly buried the train coming to Little Falls from Dolgeville. Near Crum Creek the train was stalled in a big drift about ten feet deep. All that was visible of the engine was the smoke stack. Shovelers had great difficulty in freeing the iron horse from its position. Passengers on the train amused themselves by playing cards.
Roller skating has returned this week to the Redman Hall at 569 East Main Street.
The P&K Dress Corporation will begin operation on the fifth floor of the building at 560 East Mill Street. The proprietors, Eugene Pawluk and Erich Kupfer, will manufacture bathrobes and dresses. The firm is expected to start operations with 50 employees and gradually increase production.
The home talent, three act farce “Henry’s Wedding,” sponsored by the Junior Welfare League, pleased a large audience at the High school auditorium. In all there were 125 prominent local people in the show including Wilbur Crisp as “O’Flaherty, Chief of Detectives.” The production also tickled a gathering of school kiddies at a matinee yesterday afternoon.
Voters, in a special election, defeated a proposal to build a municipal swimming pool in Little Falls, 1452 to 4761. A similar referendum had passed in 1952.
George Frank, whose experiences in the baking business is well known to most of our villagers, has bought the bakery at the corner of Ann and Church streets, recently occupied by E. Walsh. He will serve his customers with a variety of bread, crackers, cakes, confections, etc.
Seventy-three year old Hiram McChesney, a master blacksmith in Little Falls for over 56 years, died of exhaustion after carrying a heavy furnace grate through deep snow from his shop on Second Street to the Reddy Brother’s foundry on Seeley Island.
Architect Dwight J. Baum, of Riverdale, N.Y., will draw the plans for Frank Simpson’s new home on Salisbury Street. Mr. Baum is a former Little Falls boy, and his talent as a draughtsman, early apparent, stands him in good stead in his profession. He eventually designed several other distinguished homes in Little Falls.
The New York Telephone Company protested a plan to finance a municipal pool in Little Falls with a two percent telephone tax. The pool referendum was defeated 1,452 to 476.
The Little Falls Paper Company plant on East Mill Street was consumed by flames resulting in damages estimated at $75,000. It is believed the fire was started by an explosion of an oil stove. The conflagration got a big start when firemen went in the wrong direction in response to a telephone alarm.
“Yourself and your lady are respectfully invited to be present at a Social Party to be given at Indian Castle Hall” said the invitation from Shall & Snell proprietors. Music is by Crumwell in person with his full orchestra. Tickets, including supper, are $1.25.
The first boys homemaking class at Little Falls High School was in full swing. Students included Thursty” McKusick, Fred Urich, Tito DiTata, and Ted Van Slyke. Laura Ehman was the teacher.
Clemens Drug Store at 507 East Main Street advertised ice cream at 25 c per pint and 39 c per quart. An electric corn popper with a can of Jolly Time Popcorn sold for 98 c.
“This Week in History” is brought to you by the Little Falls Historical Society. Please Visit the Little Falls Historical Society Website and please consider supporting the Museum by becoming a Member! Download the membership form here!