This Week in History – Week of Jan. 23
St. Joseph’s parish, made up of Italian immigrants, had been formed in 1923 and a wood-frame church was soon built at the corner of East John and South Mary streets. On this evening, the church was destroyed by fire.
There are from ten to fifteen Stage Coaches running through the village every day, and from twenty to sixty Boats passing daily on the Canal in the season of navigation.
West Main Street has been set apart by the mayor to be used by horsemen as a speedway on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, between two and five PM.
William Alexander started a new grist mill today at the little falls.
Several years ago a group of prominent Little Falls citizens formed the “Eastern Improvement Company” to develop the Burnt Rocks area of Little Falls, and lay out streets, building lots, and a route for the trolley. The lots did not sell, the trolley never materialized, and the lands were sold today under foreclosure to Mr. D. H. Burrell for $8,009.
Little Falls Drug Abuse Resistance Education (D.A.R.E.) program officer Richard Congdon was selected as the state representative for Region Seven at the annual D.A.R.E. convention at West Point. The area includes Herkimer, Oneida, Madison, Onondaga, and Oswego counties.
“Dr. Jeykll and Mr. Hyde” is playing tonight at the Cronkhite Opera House.
This Week in History” is brought to you by the Little Falls Historical Society. Please Visit the Little Falls Historical Society Website and please consider supporting the Museum by becoming a Member. Download the membership form here!