Jun 20th


Boys playing with matches set fire to the wooden framed St. Mary’s church, the first Catholic church building in Little Falls, which had been constructed in 1847. The loss amounted to ten thousand dollars. Services were held in Keller Hall until a new edifice could be built.


The first bicycle turned out at the shop of Snyder & Fisher made its appearance on the streets of Little Falls this afternoon. It is a handsome machine capable of carrying a weight of 900 pounds.


A quantity of black bass from the state hatchery were placed in the Mohawk River.


The problem of sterilization of milking machines and dairy equipment was a puzzling dilemma. Loomis Burrell reached out to Cornell University in 1911 for help. They sent a young bacteriologist, Lois Watson Wing, to Little Falls and she, working with Burrell, solved the problem with a solution of chlorine and lime (Clorox.) The couple married on this date in Ithaca.


An 1855 stone building on the Mohawk River in Canal Place is being rehabilitated for the Little Falls Antique Center better known as Mills at 25 West. The project, being undertaken by Alan and Linda Vincent, will house a greatly expanded antique center, executive loft apartments, and professional office space.

Jun 21st


While the stage was rapidly passing westward through the village, a passenger was thrown off and crushed beneath the wheels. Joseph Cowden, a merchant from Genessee County, returning home, died twenty minutes later. His remains were buried in our village cemetery.


Recently, a new block at the corner of Main and Second Streets was erected by Hon. William I. Skinner, and designed by J. E. Warren of Rochester. The three story building, with a beautiful Mansard roof, stretches 120 feet on Second Street and 70 feet on Main Street. The structure contains 700,000 bricks made by Mr. Skinner. It will be known as the Skinner Opera House.


After a meeting of the Village Board, and at the suggestion of the Trustees, a local campaign was started for the relief of the sufferers by the great flood in Johnstown, Pennsylvania. In a short order, $2,700 in cash was raised in twenty-four hours.


A severe shock of an earthquake was felt about 11:30 AM. There was a tremulous motion accompanied by a rumbling sound like that of distant thunder.  Windows rattled and glassware jingled. About four minutes after the first shock a second one occurred but less severe than the first. No damage was reported.


The Pinkerton detective agency has taken up the search for Hadley Jones. The agency has branch offices all over the world including Central and South America. The Pinkerton’s are employed by the Bankers’ Association, to which the area banks,  which have been defrauded by Jones, belong.


Buffalo Bill’s Wild West Show made its farewell stop in Little Falls. Colonel Cody was quite feeble and nearly fell off of his horse.

Work began on the construction of the Y.M.C.A.


Independent candidate for Congress Martin Babinec, of Little Falls, announced the launch of the petition drive to gather signatures to qualify the Upstate Jobs Party as an independent party line for the November ballot.

Jun 22nd


At 3:00 A. M., a blaze starting from defective light wiring, caused considerable damage at the Chronkhite block at the southwest corner of Main and Ann streets. Thick volumes of smoke were rolling from the Thomas Fitzgerald saloon, the Lasch & Kirchner tailor shop, and the Joseph Fleming shoe store.


WLFH began broadcasts today at 1230 on the dial with Robert Earle as station manager. In addition to local programing,  comedy, mystery, and news programs will be relayed from the Mutual Broadcasting System. Included in the congratulatory messages will be one from Johannes Hansen, chairman of the board of Chr. Hansen’s Laboratories.


Professional baseball comes to Little Falls. The Little Falls Mets, a farm team of the New York Mets, played their first game at beautiful Veterans Memorial Park before a crowd of 1371 fans. Little Falls beat the Utica Blue Sox 4-2 in an exciting contest.

Jun 23rd


The Ringling Brother’s circus performed in Little Falls.


Insurance inspectors have notified Fire Chief Cooney that residential fire rates may be doubled unless suggested improvements are made. Recommendations made include two new chemical engines and more men.


The Prentice Vise Company of New York City completed the purchase of the Henry Cheney Hammer Company. Elmer S. Mulford moved to Little Falls and became Secretary and Treasurer. His father, Edwin H. Mulford, was President. The company employed 75 people.

Jun 24th


The recently condemned Catholic church on Petrie Street is being torn down by Thomas Dale & Sons for $4,525. The material was then used by the Dale Bros. for the construction of three beautiful brick residences along the corner of Alexander and Petrie Streets.


Charles King’s Saxony Mills in Little Falls turned out high quality and high priced underwear, however the recent business recession led people to a cheaper grade of garments. King has been forced to close his mills and the business has been forced into receivership by his creditors.


The building occupied by police and fire headquarters, corner of Second and Albany streets, was sold at mortgage foreclosure by Deputy Sheriff Kelley. This was the property on which Hadley Jones placed several mortgages which were of doubtful character. The property was sold for $9,878.


The “Bird Woman,” Katherine Stinson, became the first female to fly over Little Falls. Six years prior, the first man, Harry Atwood, passed over the city.


It was announced that Mrs. D. H. Burrell, Sr. was planning the erection of a home for nurses on Whited Street. Mrs. Burrell passed away in 1924 before the nurses’ residence was completed.


A formal presentation of the Carnegie Hero Medal was made to a young Slovak girl, 11 year- old Susie Mizerak, at a large dinner sponsored by the Exchange Club. She had jumped into the canal to rescue a 4–year boy; “caught hold of his clothing” and swam 22 feet to the ladder in the wall, and waited for help to arrive.


A carload of flour, which will be given away free to needy families, has arrived in the city. The flour, made from government owned wheat, was obtained through the national Red Cross, and will be distributed this evening at 7 o’clock.


One of the most memorable events of Little Falls Sesquicentennial Year transpired with the opening of the city’s new distribution reservoir on Top Notch Road, which was dedicated to long-time resident and public servant George W. Boyle.

Jun 25th


Richard Ray Ward bought lots in the east end of the village and offered water lots for sale. “Water Power for sale at auction; Twenty lots; Upper Fall on north side of Mohawk River; Each a quantity of water to propel four run of stone or 4,000 spindles.” The lots extend from the center of the river north to the old Inland Canal.


Mayor James K. M’Guire has gotten married, and he and his bride will soon sail for Le Havre, France for a six week honeymoon in Europe. The new city charter does not provide for an Acting Mayor so questions are asked if city business will go on. M’Guire said he can be reached by cable at any time.

Jun 26th


The new brick yard on the south side of the river is in full operation. The first kiln of brick is now being burned and will be done next week.

This Week in History” is brought to you by the Little Falls Historical Society. Please Visit the Little Falls Historical Society Website and please consider supporting the Museum by becoming a Member. Download the membership form here!