Mar. 13th


P.W. Casler & Co. announced that their new sawmill, planing mill, and dry kilns on the south side of the river are in operation, and the company is prepared to furnish building material of all kinds promptly and at the lowest prices. Saw dust is also for sale.


Thinking that her ten year-old daughter had been insulted and threatened, Mrs. Tony LaVista shot Carmelo Thamberro in the chest with a 38 caliber revolver. District Attorney Ward is busy trying to see if there is not something under the surface.


A 1928 Essex sedan could be bought at the P.E. Whitcomb Ford dealership for $25. A 1930 Willys roadster was $50.


A letter from the Chairman of the Little Falls Citizens’ Advisory Committee to Mayor Wind suggests that the city discontinue funding the Little Falls Public Library.

Mar. 14th


To attract skilled craftsmen to settle in Little Falls, it was determined that an improved road was needed. On this date, Porteous received a letter from Albany informing him that the Senate, led by Southern members, had defeated a bill for road work at the little falls. They claimed the treasury was too low for such projects.


By an act of the New York State legislature, commissioners were appointed and the Herkimer County National Bank was organized and located in the village of Little Falls. Commissioners included Nathaniel Benton, Dudley Burwell, Arphaxed Loomis, and David Petrie. It was opened in the Beattie House at the corner of Main and William streets on August 24th , and moved in December to the new bank building.


At Taylor’s Jewelry Store, Ladies’ gold watches are on sale at $30 to $50, and Gents’ gold watches from $50 to $100. Also offered are gold chains, necklaces, lockets, wedding rings, and diamond rings. The advertisement screams, “the fact is, tjmes are hard and money scarce” – “we offer our entire stock at a great reduction in price.”


WW II Era – LIFE magazine has decided to make Little Falls the locale for a feature on “A Small City at War.”  Former resident Ann Marcus (Dorothy Ann Goldstone) and famed photographer Alfred Eisenstaedt plan to devote several pages to photos and narrative from this city. (The war ended before the article could be published.)


Another famous Little Falls landmark is soon to vanish from the Main Street scene. The venerable clock provided by the Herkimer County Trust Company on the corner of the Burrell Building is being taken down today. The old clock was erected in 1918.

Mar. 15th


County Commissioners issued John Porteous a license “to retail Strong Liquors” presumably at his home/ store/ tavern at the little falls.


A private military company was formed, and a troop of horse or cavalry was organized from members who owned saddle horses. A General Muster Day was held annually in the fields above Main Street on what is now Garden Street.


The roller skating rinks at John and Main streets burned. No building has been erected since. It is now the site of St. Mary’s playground.


Actress Zoe Gayton arrived in Little Falls on her 3,395 mile walk from San Francisco to New York City. She was attempting to win a $2,000 wager that she could make the trip in 226 days. At Little Falls she was 206 miles ahead of schedule. As she left the city, many people walked with her toward St. Johnsville.


In a newspaper editorial, John B. McGuire agreed with a plan to give up the practice of sending floral tributes to departed friends, and instead divert the large sums spent for charitable purposes.


Around this date, the library board sent a letter to the Mayor and Common Council regarding a need for emergency funding to keep the library open for the remainder of the year.


Queensboro Farm Products, Inc. permanently closed its milk processing plant on Loomis Island after 20 years of operation. The company, which moved to Frankfort, indicated that the cost of constructing a sewer line hook-up plus the annual sewer charges were important factors in the company’s decision to move.


Natale (Nat) Bellochi, born in Little Falls of Italian immigrant parents, passed away. A graduate of Georgia Tech and Georgetown, he was a Korean War veteran and Ambassador to Botswana. Most of his time was spent in Asia, where he was considered the foremost U. S. expert on Taiwan affairs.

Mar. 16th


A traveling exhibition of waxworks and paintings showed at the MacKinster Hotel.


Tuition per term at the Little Falls Academy was: Primary Department $2.50; Spelling, Reading, Geography & Common Arithmetic $3.50; and High Studies $4.50 to $5.50.


Calico will be very largely worn this year, whether because of the hard times or the centennial year, has not yet been determined upon.


A delegation of local citizens called on President Chauncy M. Depew of New York Central Railroad of New York City. He agreed to build a new freight house and passenger station in Little Falls.


A damaging blaze in the Jefferson Street school early this morning, originating in the furnace room, left two rooms badly scorched. Fortunately, none of the students had reported for the morning session.  Insurance covered all of the costs except on students’ books.


Mr. Searight, manager of the West Monroe Street ice skating rink, claims he got no money for managing the facility, and said the only thing he got was pneumonia. One payroll was met by D.H. Burrell to keep the rink open.


The New York Telephone Company announced that the city was due for dial phone service starting today. The new building opposite the City Hall has been completed and equipment installed to allow local patrons to dial almost anywhere in the United States.


The Herkimer County Trust Company has added two women to serve on the board of directors – the first women in the area to serve in that capacity. Both women, Mrs. Lillian W.B. Fisher and Mrs. Pamela B. Wright, come from families who have a long and distinguished history in Little Falls’ financial institutions.

Mar. 18th


An extraordinary large horse, from California, is being exhibited at the Star Academy. He is said to be about seven feet high, weighing about 2,000 pounds. Ten cents admission is charged.


William Evans has closed his moving picture and vaudeville theatre, on Ann Street near John, known as the Royal Theatre. With the rivalry of three such places and a 10 cents admission charge, the Royal could not produce the revenue to stay open.


H. W. Snyder, of H. P. Snyder Manufacturing Co., said that the U. S. bicycle industry was in danger from imports. Almost 600,000 bicycles were imported in 1953, about 40 times the 1949 imports.

Mar. 19th


William Alexander and Hendrick Frey, as executers of the will of John Porteus, conveyed to Alexander Ellice lots 12 and 13 of the Burnetsfield Patent. This property, on the north side of the Mohawk River, comprises most of what is now Little Falls.


The old Church Street School has been cleared of its furniture etc. and contractors will start the work of pulling down the old structure. The bricks for the new building are on the ground.


A bill has been signed in Albany, allowing the annexation of a part of the Town of Little Falls to the City of Little Falls.  The annexed area contains the new city reservoir.


The old Nathaniel S. Benton property, corner of Garden and Jackson streets (current W.C.A.) was sold by Mrs. Catherine B. Gray of New York City, to Messrs. John O’Rourke and John Hurley composing the firm of O’Rourke & Hurley.


The St. Joseph’s Society No. 53, a cultural, social, and beneficial organization of the Slovenian immigrants to Little Falls from the Austro-Hungarian Empire, celebrated their 55th anniversary with a banquet at the Slovenian Home on Danube Street.


Amos P. Clark, an employee of the City of Little Falls for the past 54 years as custodian at the city hall, was found dead in the City Hall boiler room. Death was attributed to natural causes.


A large mudslide from the Rollway knocked a garage at 1 West Casler Street off of its foundation. Water overflowed its normal path, saturated an embankment causing approximately 50 feet of earth and rocks to slide over a retaining wall crushing the garage.

This Week in History” is brought to you by the Little Falls Historical Society. Please Visit the Little Falls Historical Society Website and please consider supporting the Museum by becoming a Member. Download the membership form here!