This Week in History – Week of Mar. 27
The “Wang Sing Chinese Laundry,” was started in the Fleming block on the corner of South Second and Albany Streets. Shortly afterwards a second Chinese laundry started in Little Falls.
The first train station in Little Falls will soon be razed. The station is located between West John Street and the railroad tracks near the “Flatiron” building which holds the office for the S.F. Jones Coal Company.
WW II Era – The FBI said 3,637 aliens had registered in Herkimer County including 1,128 “enemy aliens,” 950 from Italy, 146 from Germany, and 32 from Romania and Hungary. The Little Falls Post Office had issued certificates of identification to all aliens of enemy nationalities age 14 and older. Police confiscated radios, cameras, and firearms.
Rev. Henry Macilravy, an evangelist from Little Falls, is the spiritual adviser for Chester Gillette, the murderer of Grace Brown in the famous Adirondack tragedy. He is working with Gillette’s family to free him from execution.
The single blast of the fire alarm just before noon marked the flight over Little Falls by the noted aviatrix, Amelia Earhart. Bad weather forced her to land her tiny Avro biplane in a cornfield in Marcy. She was en route to Buffalo to attend an air exposition.
A large contingent of 3,500 fans from Little Falls, travelled to Syracuse to see the Wilber Crisp coached high school team defeat Cohoes 25 to 9 to win the New York State basketball championship. Splendid teamwork on the part of the purple & white, and the scoring of Beck and Kane were too much for Cohoes. Crisp and Mucica were heard over the radio after the game.
The Gansevoort Estate of Albany, which purchased local lands of Ellice, agreed to set up a public square as suggested by Arphaxed Loomis. It is now Western Park (Burke Park.)
Temperance – The ladies of the village have sent to the Trustees a long petition, signed by over 200, praying the exertion of their powers to stop gaming houses and grant no more liquor licenses.
As the village of Little Falls grew, it extended into the towns of Little Falls, Danube, and Manheim. On this date, voters passed a resolution, by a 914 to 77 vote, to petition the New York State Legislature for Little Falls to change its status to that of a city.
The Joint Legislative Committee on Preservation and Restoration of Historic Sites has recommended that Moss Island be given serious consideration by the State of New York as a park and geological site. Local residents, City Historian Edward J. Cooney and Donal Hurley have long championed the cause.
Members of the LFHS 1929–1930 state championship basketball team celebrated the 50th anniversary of the victory at a dinner party. In attendance were Milan Paracka, Sam Maddaloni, Jimmy Kane, Leland Clark, and Garner Beck.
The Inland Lock and Navigation Company was incorporated with General Philip Schuyler as president. The capital stock was $300,000, but the state added funds when necessary. The work at Little Falls cost $22,500.
Workers on the Western Inland Land Navigation Company were paid as follows: Blacksmith 10 shillings (s) per day, Carpenters 10 s per day, and Laborers 6 s per day, and each was furnish his own bedding, provisions, and Liquors, and work from sunrise to sunset allowing one hour at breakfast and at dinner. The company will provide the cook.
John Porteous was appointed postmaster at the little falls, and the post office was located in his store. The early mail was delivered once a week punctual by Adam Feeter.
The New York State Legislature granted a charter to incorporate a part of the Town of Little Falls as a village. Agents for the Ellice Estate appear to have had a hand in drafting the charter of nine handwritten pages, as the powers were very limited. By 1811, Little Falls contained about 30 or 40 houses, stores, a tavern, some mills, and a church. The entire village was on the north side of the Mohawk River.
A large fire at the Little Falls Knitting Mill, commonly known as “Bailey’s Mill”, caused about $30,000 in damages. Of major concern is the welfare of the two hundred and forty hands to whom the mill gave employment and who at this time are without work.
The bicycle is fast becoming a popular means of recreation. A cinder path was laid out from Little Falls to Herkimer.
Today was the first day of “Daylight Saving Time” in the entire United States. Little Falls practiced the new time schedule, where some other communities kept the practice of “God’s Time.”
Former city treasurer John L. Lockwood pleads guilty to embezzlement of city funds and is sentenced to 1 ½ to 2 years in Auburn prison. The shortage amounted to $6,410.
A rousing and enthusiastic welcome was accorded the Wilbur Crisp coached Little Falls High School basketeers – the Section 3 overall champs – on their triumphant return home from Syracuse. Led by Paul Mosny , Jim Brown and Bob McCully, the purple and white defeated Cherry Valley 59 -40 in the final.
Samuel Smith was appointed the third postmaster in Little Falls.
The water in the Mohawk River is believed to have been the highest since the great flood of 1865. John Stark, official water gauger for the city, reports a depth of 11 feet, 4 inches at the gauge located directly west of the Hansen Island bridge.
The Little Falls Dairy Company’s plant near the Danube Street cut on the West Shore Railroad is open for business. There are 65 stockholders in the company which will receive and ship milk on a co-operative basis.
There was a wireless telephone in the window of Coffee & McTiernan’s store which attracted considerable attention. It was run by two types of batteries and three dials.
William E. Barnes came to Little Falls, after fifteen years in business in Corning, to open a watch repair business here in the city. A graduate of the Reese Engraving School, Barnes had his shop in the basement of the Burrell Building near the entrance to the elevator. He was visible from a large window facing the Main Street sidewalk. He was in business for decades.
The four large brick and stone structures composing the Eagle Mills Company at the corner of West Main and Furnace streets, once owned by Hon. Titus Sheard, are being razed.
Levee’s jewelry store advertised The RCA “Bystander” table model TV set for sale with “bright, clear, steady pictures on a big 52 sq. in. screen.” This is equivalent to a 7 ¼ inch screen! No price was noted.
After 48 years of service in the Little Falls Police Department, Francis F. Reardon retired today. Reardon had served as chief of the department faithfully and conscientiously for 30 years.
The village purchased two acres of land from James Monroe, at $90 per acre, for an addition to Church Street Cemetery.
The estate of Henry Cheney, who died in 1878, was settled and the hammer factory was sold to Judge George A. Hardin, and the axe factory to Sheriff James H. Ives. Hardin, in turn, sold the hammer factory to Schuyler R. Ingham.
Four days before the U. S. entered World War I, Company B of Cohoes arrived in Little Falls to guard the canal and railroad against sabotage. First stationed in the Zoller block, they moved to Moreland Park when the weather became warmer.
Today marks the first appearance of the Legion Drum Corps.
Arc Herkimer has purchased the Mohawk Valley Country Club and renamed it the “MV Golf and Event Center.” Established in 1907, it consists of an 18-hole golf course, restaurant and event space. Arc Herkimer is a private not-for-profit organization providing services and support at over 40 sites throughout Herkimer County for more than 600 people with disabilities.
This Week in History” is brought to you by the Little Falls Historical Society. Please Visit the Little Falls Historical Society Website and please consider supporting the Museum by becoming a Member. Download the membership form here!
- Little Falls Historical Society
- Times Telegram
- Little Falls, NY
- Little Falls City School District
- Little Falls Hospital
- City of Little Falls
- Little Falls Youth & Family Center
- Mohawk Valley Center for the Arts
- Upstate Venture Connect
- Shop Little Falls, NY
- Preserve Our Past
- The Mohawk Valley Through the Lens
- My Little Falls
- Think Local Little Falls
- Little Falls Public Library