This Week in History – Week of Nov. 22nd
We are happy to announce that the stone bridge across the Mohawk River is completed. It reflects to great credit the mechanical skills of Robert Stewart and Captain William Chase.
The cornerstone of the Bethel Mission Chapel on the south side of the city was placed today. The construction is being paid for by David H. Burrell, head of the great Burrell & Co. industries, on a lot donated by William Milligan, the venerable retired president of the National Herkimer County Bank.
The Women’s Christian Association (W.C.A.) was formally opened, before a crowd of over 500, for the use of women and girls of Little Falls. It was affectionately dedicated to the memory of Anne Louise Burrell who was a pioneer in work for the higher interests of girls and women. Visitors were escorted through the building by the Girl Scouts.
Little Falls resident Mary Woodward Pillsworth was an eye witness to history. Fifty years ago today, Mary, a women’s news reporter for the Dallas Morning News was directly in front of the Texas School Book Depository when President John F. Kennedy was assassinated. She is considered the fifth closest witness to the assassination, and can be seen in the Zapruder film.
Sold at the post office under mortgage foreclosure, what is believed to be the oldest property in the city. This historic building was the old stone mill located between the Andrew Little shop and the Cheney Hammer plant. This building was built about 1800 on the foundation of the Revolutionary War era grist mill that was a haven for people fleeing Indian attacks.
The cool weather has partially abated a nuisance on Furnace Street, which has caused the residents in the vicinity much annoyance. On the east side is a large pig sty from which has emitted a most offensive stench. Such a thing ought not to be permitted within the corporate limits.
The sinking of a boat loaded with soda ash near Fort Herkimer changed the chemistry of the river water and adversely affected the fish population all the way to Little Falls. The fish surfaced gasping for air and wriggled feebly. Many local residents caught them with market baskets, umbrellas, old bags and anything that was handy. Reports indicated best “fishing” ever here.
The Secretary of Agriculture announced, now that the war is over, the rationing of meat, butter, and all shortening ended today. The rationing began on March 29, 1943. Sugar is now the only food left on the ration list.
In 1937, a new St. Joseph’s church was built at the corner of Albany and William streets, replacing one destroyed earlier that year by fire. Today marks one of the most joyous occasions for the parish and its friends, that of the burning of the mortgage on the church. The parish was founded in 1923 in Little Falls.
The popular 1¼ mile route in the Industrial Park, for local walkers, was dedicated as a “fitness walking trail” in a joint project by the Little Falls Family YMCA, Redco Foods, and the City of Little Falls.
Under a new city ordinance, Chief Cooney is stationing firemen in public halls when they contain a gathering – tonight at the Skinner and Chronkhite opera houses, and the Beaumont dancing assembly.
An embittered man’s will – Fred I. Small of Little Falls left an estate of $300,000 which had some bizarre provisions. Nothing was to be paid “To those unsexing institutions known as a female college.” The city of Little Falls receives $200 for him to be buried in a grave ”at least six feet deep, and bricked in so as to be water tight.”
The worst wind storm in recent memory pounded Little Falls and vicinity, uprooting trees, blowing off roofs, shattering windows, and downing electric and telephone lines.
About 250 couples were present at the nineteenth annual ball of the Celtic Lyceum and Chemical Engine Company in the Skinner Opera House. Supper was served at the Girvin House and music was furnished by Fallis’ orchestra.
The first contingent of eleven men from the Little Falls draft board left this morning for the army induction center in Albany. They were escorted from City Hall to the railroad depot by the high school marching band. The station was jammed with well-wishers, parents, and sweethearts.
At Riley’s Hall, at the corner of German (Flint Avenue) and Jefferson streets, a wonderful exhibition of mechanical wonders which every laboring man, especially in Little Falls, should see. A grist mill in operation, blacksmith shop, band playing and other marvelous figures. Admission is ten cents.
The Little Falls Historical Society was organized at a meeting held in the Burrell Memorial room of City Hall. City Historian Edward Cooney presided at the meeting. Future meetings are open to the public, and there will be no dues since there are no expenses. A museum will be set up in the former GAR rooms at the city hall.
This Week in History” is brought to you by the Little Falls Historical Society. Please Visit the Little Falls Historical Society Website and please consider supporting the Museum by becoming a Member. Download the membership form here!