This Week in History – Week of Oct. 10th
In a letter to Alexander Ellice, William Alexander reported that the saw mill and fulling mill were of little use, the dams, runway etc. are decaying and the bridge over the Mohawk River was impassable.
About 125 magicians were registered at the Hotel Snyder for their annual state convention. One highlight was a daring “suspension act” by Elmer Eckam at Eastern Park.
Headline The Evening Times “Registration Drive Surges Toward Its Climax in City,”
“Early morning newscasts over the national radio networks, have already picked up the news of the community-wide campaign in Little Falls for a record registration and vote. Comment is to the effect that this city may be setting the pace for similar campaigns being carried on in towns and cities throughout the country.”
Another headline on the same day: “Float Used to Urge All To Register”
“A float, bearing a cash register and six girls is touring the city today and tomorrow as a part of the drive to “Register and Vote…The float bears the slogan, “Cash In On Your Citizenship. Register Today!”
The saw mill at Andrew Little & Sons, Inc. on West Mill Street became the last industry in Little Falls to convert from water power to electricity. Andrew Little came to Little Falls in 1874 to build the woodwork at the Methodist church. When the project was completed, he started his company.
A ”monster” parade was held in Little Falls, with several bands and two thousand men in uniform all carrying torches. The parade was organized by Republicans to further the efforts to elect Lincoln president.
Little Falls progresses. There were five drunken fights in the village last night.
A young bride, married two weeks ago without her farmer father’s consent, was torn from the arms of her husband in front of the Cowen shop. As she attempted to rejoin her husband, she was “picked up like a sack of flour” by her irate father, thrown into a buggy and driven out of the village at a rapid pace.
Headline read: Registration Well Ahead of 1944 and 1948. Three-Day total Here Far Above Four Years Ago”
The intensive community wide campaign to get out the vote is producing splendid results. When the eight registration places in the city closed at 10 o’clock last night, the names of 4,303 voters had been entered on the books. The total is 1.026 higher than the three-day figure for the last comparable year…”
It was announced that the Little Falls Felt Shoe Company will cease operations at the local plant, and by the end of this year will consolidate all its factory work at the St. Johnsville plant.
William Moynihan, Little Falls native and St. Mary’s Academy graduate, has passed away. Earning degrees from SUNY Binghamton, Colgate, and Syracuse (Ph.D.), Bill had leadership positions at Colgate, was director of the American Museum of Natural History in New York City, and lastly as CEO of the Milwaukee Public Museum. He was buried in Hamilton, N.Y.
The biggest parade celebration in the history of Little Falls was held to symbolize the faith and confidence of the local people in the NRA (National Recovery Act) and the advent of better times. The mammoth event will feature 21 bands, 50 floats, and many uniformed organizations. A children’s parade was also held.
Three New York Giants baseball players, Fred Merkle, Rube Schauer, and B. F. Dyer, en route to the Pacific coast, stayed at the Richmond Hotel, and played pool and billiards at the George Burns Cigar store. Burns, formerly from Utica, had played leftfield for the Giants. The trio also visited with Burns’ parents who reside in Little Falls.
A Little Falls newspaper described the work being undertaken in the village as ”There is a splendid public works going on, along the Grand Erie, turning the channel of the Mohawk from its ancient course and bidding its waters seek a new passage to make way for the splendid double locks of the enlargement.”
General James Garfield, a future president of the United States (1881), stopped in Little Falls to visit his friend Seth Richmond. A few years later, when taken ill while traveling on a New York Central train, he spent several days with his friend at the Richmond house at 546–548 East John Street, as there was no hospital in Little Falls at that time.
Word has been received that Albert Flint has died as a result of wounds received while fighting somewhere in France. German Street, on the south side, was renamed to Flint Avenue in his honor.
A long familiar landmark, the A. M. E. Zion church at 222 West Main Street, is being torn down. The church, which served the colored community, was established in 1889. The number of colored people remaining in the city could be counted on one hand.
A lockout began in the mills in Little Falls as the Knights of Labor started an organizing campaign. At issue is not the employers right to discharge and to hire whom they please, but the firing and “blacklisting“ of those workers involved in union activities.
The ELITE RESTAURANT on Main Street is pleased to announce that due to the lower prices of food-stuffs, it will now serve a 25 cent dinner – Roast Leg of Lamb or Fresh Ham; Home-Made Dressing; Apple Sauce; Green Peas; Mashed Potatoes.
This Week in History” is brought to you by the Little Falls Historical Society. Please Visit the Little Falls Historical Society Website and please consider supporting the Museum by becoming a Member. Download the membership form here!