This Week in History – Week of Oct. 3rd
The Polish Catholic Society has purchased property at 45 Furnace and has begun erection of their new church which should be completed next year. The society has occupied the A.M.E. Zion church on West Main Street for a year or more.
All of the memorial stained glass windows that are to be placed in St. Mary’s church have now reached New York City from John Hardman & Sons of Birmingham, England.
At a meeting of the Exchange Club, a letter from S.D. Bradway was read announcing that the Barnet Leather Company was ceasing operations in Little Falls. The company has a long history in the city in their plant on East Mill Street.
Alec MacCallum, a pioneer basketball player, passed away today at age 73. Born in Hardenberry Castle, Worcester, England in 1878, he moved to Little Falls in 1888. When Dr. James Naismith invented basketball in 1891, MacCallum took up the sport and became exceedingly proficient. He played for the Little Falls Athletics in the first game between Little Falls and Herkimer.
The new Emmanuel Episcopal church on Albany Street was consecrated by Rt. Rev. Benjamin Treadwell Onderdonk, Bishop of New York. The congregation had previously worshipped at the old Octagon church, and purchased this property in 1833. The historic Trinity Church Parish in New York City had donated $1,500 towards the building fund.
The non-reinforced concrete road was opened from Little Falls to Paine’s Hollow, amidst great fanfare, to connect with the macadam road to Richfield Springs.
At a ceremony at Benton’s Landing, New York State Canal Corporation, federal, county, and local dignitaries lauded the start-up of the new boat tour service in Little Falls. Captain Tom Ryan will offer the cruises. Mayor Ted Wind commented that about 1,200 people have taken the boat tour thus far.
Welch’s National Circus was in Little Falls for performances – 2 pm and 7 pm. Admission was 25 cents.
A huge boulder, called “Spook Rock “, stands close to the road on the shore of the river just east of the village. The rock is so called because superstition avowed that someone had been murdered nearby, and a ghost or spook haunted the place and often appeared to passersby.
The Presbyterian congregation in Little Falls begins a four day celebration of its centennial. They first worshipped in the Old Octagon Church, and the present body was organized in 1812.
The Richmond Hotel will be the site for the annual convention of the New York State Automobile Association which is being sponsored by the Little Falls Automobile Club. Business meetings will be held at the Gateway Theatre. Little Falls is being touted as being on the main line trunk highway half-way between New York City and Buffalo, and Albany and Syracuse.
Little Falls High School senior, Joclyn Van Gorder, the lone member of the high school ski team, has been chosen as one of 7,500 to carry the Olympic torch on its cross country trip to Salt Lake City, the site of the 2002 winter Olympic Games.
By actual count there are seventy-eight establishments in Little Falls where liquor is sold. No wonder dealers complain of a dullness in trade.
The city hall cornerstone was laid this afternoon witnessed by a big crowd. Designed by architect W. Neil Smith of New York, the building was made possible through David H. Burrell’s gift of $60,000. The estimated cost, with furnishings is $150,000.
Work was begun on installing parking meters in Little Falls.
A month prior to the presidential election, hundreds waited in the rain as President Harry S Truman made a “whistle stop” here. He attacked the “do-nothing” 80th Congress, and extolled the virtue of Herkimer County cheese. Truman defeated Dewey.
Little Falls and area communities were jolted by an early morning moderate earthquake. The earthquake was recorded at 5.2 on the Richter scale, and was centered at Blue Mountain Lake in the Adirondack Mountains about 60 miles north northeast of Little Falls. No local damage was reported.
The first boat toll on the canal was collected at Little Falls.
The new front steps of St. Mary’s church will be carved out of a solid rock. The big boulder is being hauled out of Moreland Park.
The number of auto accidents on the River Road continues to alarm. John Doxstader’s car ran into the river after an accident below the Gulf Bridge.
Evening Times Headline: “City Launches Drive For Record Voter Registration”
“A gigantic campaign to produce a record-smashing number of registrations was launched here today as a result of a meeting of the city’s leading citizens last night at City Hall.
An extensive drive highlighted by radio, speeches, house to house canvassing and a giant float with pretty girls and music, has been organized and will begin work tomorrow.
Trouble has been brewing at the Phoenix mill after 200 operators, mostly foreigners, left their jobs because of the new 54 hour work week and consequent reduction in wages. The International Workers of the World socialist union is now involved, and Chief of Police Long has been called to the scene.
Evening Times Headline: “Many Means to Be Used to Get Folks Out to Register.”
“The local campaign for record registration got into high gear last night with a meeting of all committee members….” It was reported that radio station WLFH local programs and station breaks were emphasizing the theme, “Cash in on your American Heritage – Register This Weekend,” throughout every hour of broadcasting until 10 o’clock Saturday night.” An accompanying headline read: “Register Drive To Provide Babysitters.” Additionally, a proclamation encouraging participation was issued by Mayor Willard M. Topper, also on the front page.
Scraping gum and tar off city sidewalks is one of the sentences handed down in city court for minor offenses under the city’s community service program. Other public service tasks include picking up trash and litter and washing city vehicles.
This Week in History” is brought to you by the Little Falls Historical Society. Please Visit the Little Falls Historical Society Website and please consider supporting the Museum by becoming a Member. Download the membership form here!