This Week in History – Week of Sept. 13th
People passing the drinking fountain or watering trough at the junction of Albany and East Main streets say it is a nuisance. When a horse is drinking no one can pass on the walk. It is proposed the trough be moved to the park across the street.
Having paid the mortgage on the old church, the congregation, of the Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church, under the leadership of Rev. Carl Schroeder, set forth to build a new church on Petrie Street.
The big new power plant of the Barnet Leather Company on East Mill Street, which was built on the labor-saving plan, was put into operation. The coal is not touched by human hands until it is dumped from a wagon into a pile of ashes.
Appraisals are being made by the State on land and buildings, that possibly will be acquired, on Mohawk Street from the guard gates to the lift bridge, and the northern side of Jefferson Street , for the expansion of the Barge (Erie) Canal.
The former Cherry-Burrell Plant 1, on Albany Street between Ann and Second streets, will be torn down, and an A & P Supermarket will be built on the site. As a part of the demolition, a wall of the old Presbyterian Church, erected about 1832 and one of the oldest structures in the city, will be razed.
The coveted “Airman of the Year Award” was given to Dr. H. D. Vickers of Little Falls by the Flying Physicians Association at their convention in Missouri. The award is to some person in general aviation or medicine who has made a notable contribution to aviation medicine or air safety. 2,000 doctors are members.
The first newspaper published in Little Falls, the “People’s Friend”, by Edward Griffing, was printed in Mechanic’s Hall on Main Street, and later at the brick house on Garden Street at the head of Mary Street.
The boat “The Champion” left her dock at Little Falls for Troy with a mammoth load: 1944 boxes of cheese, 43 cases of cheese, 3 boxes of woolens, and 1 box of leather. The cargo weighed 150,561 pounds and the toll was $56.50.
One of the oldest and most honored citizens of Little Falls, Judge Arphaxed Loomis, passed away. Born in 1798 in Connecticut, he moved to Salisbury as a young boy in 1803. Long prominent in local affairs, he ranked among the foremost men in the State, and was an acknowledged leader in shaping its course as the Empire State. Arphaxed Loomis is remembered most for his successful efforts in forcing the Ellice Estate to sell their holdings in Little Falls. He was village president (1831-1836,) County Judge, member of the NYS Assembly, and member of Congress. He built his home at 676 East Main Street in 1832.
A memorial service for all churches in the city was held for President William McKinley at the Skinner Opera House. McKinley had been assassinated nine days earlier in Buffalo, New York.
New officers were installed for the Little Falls Bocce League. Charlie Raiello, Ugo Taverni, and John Casullo took over the reins from Lou Colangelo and Paul Terenzetti. The local bocce ball courts are located at the Veterans Memorial Park complex.
A flotilla en route to Rochester for the 2010 World Canals Conference stopped in Little Falls today. The flotilla is made up of pleasure and tour boats, as well as several historic and operational vessels from the New York State Canal Corporation.
The boat “Hon. Titus Sheard” took a party of sixteen couples on a moonlight excursion to Frankfort. Music and refreshments were served on board to enliven and add sociability to the occasion, followed by a supper for the party in Frankfort. The return was made when the moon brightened the water.
Little Falls Fire Chief Edward Cooney is in New York City to attend a meeting of the National Association of Fire Chiefs. Cooney was selected to represent New York State as a Vise-President in the national association.
Little Falls came together when 2,000 people attended a candlelight vigil at Veterans Memorial Park to honor the thousands who lost their lives during the Sept. 11th attack on the Twin Towers in New York City. The memorial service was brought together by Robin Klimacek and Bev Lamanna.
Alexander Ellice had purchased land from Warrener Deygerth and Jost Herkimer Jr., lots 12 and 13 of the Burnetsfield Patent at the little falls in 1773, and on September 17, 1774 contracted with Ebenezer Cox to build a mill and millhouse at that place.
Little Falls Lodge # 181 Free & Accepted Masons was formed with eight men in attendance. They first met in rooms above a store at the corner of Main and Ann Streets.
At the Battle of Antietam, the 34th Regiment made up of Little Falls and Herkimer County soldiers, lost 43 killed and 74 wounded.
A large band of gypsies are encamped west of the village. Their men traded horses and the women told fortunes and sold bric-a-brac.
The village purchased a lot on Garden Street for an engine house from Richard Ray Ward for $43.56. It later became a city garage, American Legion Post, and a hair salon.
The body of Little Falls constable Anson Casler was pulled from the canal. An autopsy concluded he had not drowned but died of a severe blow to his head. The previous evening, Casler had gone to the Southside, but was unsuccessful in issuing an assault & battery warrant against an alleged combatant in a fracas. After a lengthy trial, the defendant was found “not guilty,” and Casler’s murderer was never brought to justice.
Sanders Lansing, who came to Little Falls as a representative for the Ellice Estate, passed away today. County Judge from 1821 to 1828 he built the house at 22 Church Street in 1826.
A special reunion was held to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the unbeaten 1948 LFHS football team. The team was honored at the Little Falls – Herkimer game at the West Monroe Street Field where Little Falls came from behind in the fourth quarter to defeat Herkimer 14 – 12.
This Week in History” is brought to you by the Little Falls Historical Society. Please Visit the Little Falls Historical Society Website and please consider supporting the Museum by becoming a Member. Download the membership form here!